What's new

Can I substitute componet video cables for audio? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I'm looking at buying the AR Master Series RCA audio cables to hook between my Marantz AV560U and Rotel RMB-1066. I would need 3 packs of 2 RCA cables($70CDN/pr). Yet the componet cables are $99 for 3($200 for 6). So I would save $10+tx. Question is can then be swapped for each other?
Kevin
Component Cables

MS 290 3 feet
AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against noise and interference.
Frequency-corrected silver-coated solid >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper center conductor delivers optimum high-frequency signal transfer.
Locking, precision-machined RCA connectors with 24k gold-plated split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer
RCA Audio

MS 230 3 feet
AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against noise and interference.
Frequency-corrected silver-coated very fine multi-stranded >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper conductors improve signal transfer for delivery of full frequency range.
Locking, 24k gold-plated precision-machined RCA connectors will split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer.
Teflon® insulation provides the lowest dielectric absorption for hightest signal integrity and accuracy.
Two layers of shielding: one 100% overlapped Mylar® foil for RFI isolation, and one 95%+ copper braid for EMI isolation.
Highest-quality insulating and stranded fiber dielectrics with low contants for greatest efficient signal performance, accuracy and purity.
Twisted pair balanced and directional noise drain construction combine for natural, accurate noise-free sound reproduction.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Yes, you could use the component video cables for audio use. However I doubt the performance will be similar. The video cable uses a coax design while their audio cable is a twisted cable design.
The coax design uses the shields for the signal while the twisted pair does not. The twisted pair design keeps the shield doing what it does best, shield against RFI/EMI.
My suggestion is to spend the $10.00

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think the twisted pair approach is the more elegant way to run the audio and concur with Mark. If that's the brand you want drop the $10 and buy them. That's not to say there aren't more cost effective ways of skinning this cat. All depends on how you define your preferences. With the interconnects one can almost without regard use a wide variety of types as capacitance differences will have a nil affect on the signals that you're transmitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks