JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's probably an add-on with some of the cable replacement streaming services, but I don't think you can subscribe to only TCM.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I asked because Xfinity put TCM into a package with unrelated channels, none of which I care for. That means I’m paying $10 extra for one channel. The other channels are NFL Redzone, CBS sports, CMT, maybe something else. They have nothing to do with TCM’s content. It was just another way of jacking up the price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I asked because Xfinity put TCM into a package with unrelated channels, none of which I care for. That means I’m paying $10 extra for one channel. The other channels are NFL Redzone, CBS sports, CMT, maybe something else. They have nothing to do with TCM’s content. It was just another way of jacking up the price.
Yep. They did that about a year ago. Took TCM out of basic packages and put it in a SPORTS package and automatically added it to a lot of people's bills. Grift of the most obvious kind.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I brought this up last October in the TCM thread.

“It looks like no one here was affected by Comcast’s I’ll advised choice to move TCM to a premium pay channel tier.

About 4 weeks ago they moved it to a new “sports and entertainment” package that they made up just for this move of TCM.

The cost is $10 a month so it essentially is now a premium channel just like HBO and Showtime.

The main purpose of this package was for people to pay for NFL RedZone channel.

Now it’s also extorting people who want TCM.”

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
BTw. They didn’t add this onto my bill they just deleted TCM from my lineup and told me I have to pay $10 if I want it back.

I complained again last month and they gave a me a $30 credit.

I did not sign up for the package, I just kept the $30 discount

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I brought this up last October in the TCM thread.

“It looks like no one here was affected by Comcast’s I’ll advised choice to move TCM to a premium pay channel tier.

About 4 weeks ago they moved it to a new “sports and entertainment” package that they made up just for this move of TCM.

The cost is $10 a month so it essentially is now a premium channel just like HBO and Showtime.

The main purpose of this package was for people to pay for NFL RedZone channel.

Now it’s also extorting people who want TCM.”

Yeah, this happened to @Scott Merryfield last year and he refused to pay that extra money for TCM too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is the kind of thing cable and satellite companies have been doing for years. The structure the package so you can get everything you want at one level, except for 1 or 2 channels and then you have to go up a level. For instance the Food Network and Cooking Channel are not in the same package. We have to go up a level to get both. In my house, that’s non-negotiable. She’s got to have both.

However, this crap with TCM is recent. At least put it in a package that makes sense, so that I get more for my money.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is the kind of thing cable and satellite companies have been doing for years. The structure the package so you can get everything you want at one level, except for 1 or 2 channels and then you have to go up a level. For instance the Food Network and Cooking Channel are not in the same package. We have to go up a level to get both. In my house, that’s non-negotiable. She’s got to have both.

However, this crap with TCM is recent. At least put it in a package that makes sense, so that I get more for my money.
I am seriously looking at dumping Xfinity for cable and moving to Youtube TV. It includes most of the channels my wife and I each watch, including TCM (or, I used to watch it before Comcast moved it to a higher tier which I refused to pay for). I will lose the NFL Network and NHL Network, and my wife will lose the Hallmark Channel. However, I would no longer be locked into a service contract, and could switch streaming providers whenever I desired. I figure I can get the NFL Network for a couple of months during the football season via Sling TV and then just cancel after the regular season is over.

Heck, right now with no live sports I am not watching anything on cable TV -- my wife is the only one who has used the cable convertor in our family room for the past couple of months.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

There's a sort of way to get SOME of it. I use AT&T for my iPhone and it gives me access to AT&TNow. They offer movies and shows to stream for free. One "channel" is TCM and they offer about 50-60 movies to stream, and the selection changes every couple of days. I actually watched Freaks last night!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Eric. How do you do this?
I get hbo this way but the att tv app is no longer functional.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Eric. How do you do this?
I get hbo this way but the att tv app is no longer functional.

My bad! It's called AT&T Watch TV. It's $15/month but free to AT&T customers.

A couple of the channels allow on demand streaming movies and/or TV shows plus there's a streaming guide of about 25 channels. The nice thing about the streaming version of TCM is that you can start at the beginning of the movie even if it's already started!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I ditched Comcast cable TV in Dec in favor of YouTubeTV, largely for cost reasons, but also because of their moving of TCM to the higher tier. I've been happy with it. I will note that a few movies on TCM are "not available for streaming" - not very many, just some random titles show up that way. Not enough to be a problem for me. I also like YouTubeTV's cloud DVR feature that allows you to record/keep titles for 9 months.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I ditched Comcast cable TV in Dec in favor of YouTubeTV, largely for cost reasons, but also because of their moving of TCM to the higher tier. I've been happy with it. I will note that a few movies on TCM are "not available for streaming" - not very many, just some random titles show up that way. Not enough to be a problem for me. I also like YouTubeTV's cloud DVR feature that allows you to record/keep titles for 9 months.
Are you able to use the TCM app with your YouTube TV account like we used to be able to with a Comcast account?

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Can you access the Watch TCM streaming service through AppleTV? I get it through Roku. It's far preferable to having to tune in at a certain time or record something,. There are about 200 movies available for streaming at a time.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Can you access the Watch TCM streaming service through AppleTV? I get it through Roku. It's far preferable to having to tune in at a certain time or record something,. There are about 200 movies available for streaming at a time.

The Apple TV does have the Watch TCM app, you just have to make sure your current TV subscription gives you access to it.

In my case, as I said above, I can't use the Watch TCM app with my YouTube TV subscription, but I can access the movies TCM has available on demand through the YouTube TV app instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks