What's new

Can I still have a good theater with 6.6 to 7' ceilings? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
The room I will be doing my theater in has 7' ceilings. On each end of the ceiling running lengthwise there are airducts about 2'wide which brings the ceiling height to 6'6" at these two spots(7' in the middle between ducts. Actually there is only one duct on one end right now running lengthwise, but I plan to mirror this by adding another one on the other side of the ceiling running lengthwise as well to balance out the ceiling and get better acoustics. Would this be optimal to build a fake duct for acoustics?) room dimensions are 12'W x 22'L and fully enclosed. The room will iclude soudproofing as well. I have a 36" tube tv so I dont have to mount a projector or anything. I know this isnt ideal but will I still be able to create a good theater experience in this area with my plan?

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
My room (in progress) has similar dimensions, except 7'2" ceilings and 13 foot wide.

I think your room should work fine, especially given the (relatively) small screen size.

Have fun with it!!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Todd,
My ceiling is 7ft. My only problem is my screen is tight to the ceiling...other than that it works out just fine.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
My room is 12 wide by just under 7 high and 24 long and I have a tube and PJ in mine and it works just fine.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Cool. Thanks for the support. How is the sound in your rooms with this ceiling height? What do you guys think about me miroring my air duct (from original post)? Does this sound like a good idea?

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat as you - check out my site. I am probably going to start the sheet rock this weekend, so I dont know about sound issues, but you should have no problems.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
My ceiling is 6 1/2 and even goes lower in certain places. I have a decent system down there right now and it does sound pretty impressive. I have an L shaped room that is very narrow and long in the theater area. I think it is hard to expect a perfect theater room unless your very wealthy. Especially where I live. I am sure when I have all the equiptment I want and get everything set up, it will be a great place to watch movies with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks