What's new

Can I somehow connect 2 subwoofers to my Onkyo HTS-650 HTiB?? (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo HTS-650 5.1 home theater in a box system. It sounds great to me and all, but I would like a little more deep bass if at all possible. Is there a way I could add a 2nd subwoofer to this system for more bass? I would like to keep the one that came with the system and just add an additional woofer.

Also, if this is possible, could you recommend some decent subs to me for around $100. Also, how would I go about hooking up an additional subwoofer to this system (what would I plug it into, etc.)

Would adding a 2nd sub really add a lot of bass to my system? i don't just want to split the bass going to my sub now and go 1/2 and 1/2 to each sub. i would like to double my bass!

i appreciate anyone who helps me out, thanks!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
If your receiver has a sub preout then get a "y-splitter" from someplace like radio shack. The signal is split not halved. You can get a kit from www.partsexpress.com for a dayton sub pretty cheap but you get what you for. If you aren't satisfied with the sub you have now, chances are $100 wont satiate your low frequency desires. Consider saving up for a better sub and it will probably be cheaper in the long run. I learned the hard way, I have gone through 5 subs in two years.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
you don't think that adding a 10' dayton sub to the system I have now will dramatically increase the bass I'm getting now. and by the way, my receiver does have 1 sub pre-out that I currently use now.

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
You want both Subs to be the same sitting side by side. You will get 6 more dB by adding the other Sub. A Y splitter on the Sub Pre Out and another Sub cable is all it takes to hook it up. Go to Onkyo's website and see if they have a sub for sale that is the same as yours. Or look on eBay.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
bill,

I don't really need an identical sub of the Onkyo one I have now? Would the Dayton sub for around $125 really up my bass? Also, I wouldn't be placing them side-by-side, I'd most likely place the 2nd sub on an opposite wall or near my couch.

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Kurt,
I have never heard the Dayton sub, but people on here like them. Do a search on Dayton subs in this forum. I replaced my Onkyo sub with a Sony SA-WM40 and it made a BIG change. When the Sony was discontinued I bought another one. Two of them side by side gave me 6 dB more and that's how I run them. Each one is set to 75 dB when both are on it's 81 dB. They rock for movies but, I only run one of them for music and my room is big, 11' 3" by 33 feet long. I'm going to build a Tempest sub that will really rock the room!

Buy 2 Dayton subs (placed side by side) and crossover at 100 hertz and set subwoofer mode to 3 on your receiver. You will love it! I still say you want both subs to be the same.

I ran the Onkyo HTS-650 and Sony subs for a year and a half before the upgrade bug set in. IMHO the Onkyo is the best starter system you could buy...

Bill

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Hi Kurt,

I'm still running the Onkyo sub from the 6.1 speaker set I bought, and I'm getting the itch for more boom also. Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

chuck

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have the Onkyo HT-S760. I felt the same way as you. Many people in this forum recomend moving your sub around. Well, I had some extra cable and gave it a shot. I moved my sub from the front corner, to the corner by the couch's.... like a coffee table. Then, I adjusted the individual volume setting on the receiver to make the sub a little bit louder. Now the furniture moves. It really made a difference and basicaly cost nothing. Although, I think the subs sound is too "boomy" for music, so I have to turn the sub down now when I listen to music.

As for placing two subs on either side of the couch, how do you avoid phase probles with the subs spread out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks