Can I share my Dish hardware/programming with my duplex neighbor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

We live in a duplex, and the couple that share it with us are getting into home theater. He just bought a 65" Mitsu HDTV and asked for my advice for getting hooked up with either Dish or DirecTV. I have the Dish 6000 and 2 dishes for pulling in both the SD and HD programming from all 3 birds. My question is, is there any way I can share my hardware or programming with my neighbor if he buys the Dish 6000 reciever, without degrading my signal quality? If so, what would he/I need to do this?

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    They need whatever it would be you need to set up a second reciever in your own home. The bonus with DISH over Direct is you DO NOT NEED a phone line hooked up to the reciever which would show a different number when the unit "calls in".

A conventional splitter will NOT work..you need the unique ones for the dual dish setup AND be sure you have Dual LNB's on BOTH dishes. Wish I could give you definate specs..but I don't have that knowledge.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can share the dish but we need more information. You have a Dish500 but what kind of LNB(s) do you have? Two duals LNBs or a single Twin or Quad LNB? How is the Dish300 integrated into your system? SW21 switch? How many receivers do you have? Answer these and we can recommend hardware options if needed.

You can't legally share programming. Your neighbor has to sign up with Dish. I'm sure any further discussion of this subject will get this thread closed down.

-Robert

4. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

My Dish 500 dish has what appears to be a twin LNB, with a total of 2 coax terminals (1 on each LNB?). Then my other dish for the 61.5º sat. has only 1 LNB with a total of 1 coax terminals. So, I have a total of 3 coax terminals between the 2 dishes, all of which are in use. I am also using 1 SW21 switch. I am only using 1 receiver in the house -- the 6000. And I think my neighbor will only be using 1 receiver -- the 6000.

5. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

What's the best way to get him hooked up with programming then?

I have one of those certificates good for free equipment and installation. Should I have him use that? Or should I just have him call a local installer to come out and add whatever is necessary to my hardware to get him up and running? My neighbor is going to buy is 6000 receiver online, but I'm not sure what the least expensive way is to get him up and running. If he has a local installer come out, can he still use that certificate? How should we go about this?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The cheapest way to go based on your description is:
    1. Swap the single LNB on your 18" dish with a dual. $40
    2. Combine the other output of your Dish500 with the "new" output from your 18" dish with another SW21. $20
    3. Coax is cheap at Home Depot.
    You will each be limited to one receiver under this configuration.
    Check with Dish Depot to see if there are any new subscriber deals on the 6000. You can also get the new LNB and switch from them for a good price.
    -Robert

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

All you need is an SW64. Make sure that you connect a phone line to each receiver inorder to get easy access to PPV and automatic downloads of any future software upgrades. You will need to have receivers "turned on" via dishnetwork in order to receive any programming. I found dishnetwork's website and tech (phone) support to be pretty good.