What's new

Can I set my speaker on my sub? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Hiya, folks. :)
I recently purchased two pair of JBL S26II's, an S-Center II and a PB10 sub. I'm considering setting the sub next to the TV stand, placing a very short stand on top of the sub, and the speaker on the stand. Is this okay? I believe the speaker is ~20lbs.
If any vibration were an issue, I'd probably use a small blanket to place over the top of the sub, then the stand on that. Space in an issue with the setup, so this is why I'm asking.
Thanks for any help.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I have another question which is related to the sub connection.

On my Denon 1802, I have a red plugin that says subwoofer. Also, I have on my JBL PB10, two connectors which are labeled L and R. Do I just run a single cable to either of these connectors? I'll have to read deaper into the LFE switch as well. I'm usure as to what that does as well as the 0º-180º switch. The PB10 in Best Buy seemed to be putting out more power than this is at the moment...

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Okay, here's a snippit from the manual:
I have a Denon 1802.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...802&display=XL
It appears I only have one terminal for the sub-out. Is this correct? If it is, I'm okay with just one subwoofer cable, as I read it.
Thanks for any help. This is my very first HT. :) :emoji_thumbsup:
«edit»
Also, can anyone tell me if this receiver has a built in low-pass crossover filter?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Crossover I believe is set to 80hz.

Plug the sub cable into the red sub woofer rca jack on the receiver and then into one of the holes on the sub. If you use only one hole then its considered mono. If you get the proper connector you can plug it into both holes. If I remember right this gives you a 3 or 6db increase from the sub. When I bought my Monster sub cable it came with connector to allow me to plug it into both.

As far as putting the speaker on top of the sub: NO. Your going to get vibration up the stand from the sub to the speaker which may or may not affect it, but will most likely shake it of its stand at some point. Then again I maybe wrong.

Kevin

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I have the PB12 and a Denon 1802. The LFE switch on the PB12 is just to disable the crossover on the sub itself I also turn the subs crossover knob all the way to 150 just to be on the safe side but the switch should disable this anyways, which is what you want since your receiver is already controlling the Bass Management. The way I have mine setup is

LFE-set to LFE
Phase-set to 0
Crossover knob-150 all the way clockwise.
and I'm just using one of the Rcas on the sub I didnt use a y connector. They are only a couple dollars though if you want to experiment.

Good luck.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Are you talking about spliting the signal coming from the receiver using a Y-cable/splitter so as you can connect to both RCA inputs on the sub? If this gives you a 3-6db increase that is a pretty nifty tweak!

John

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...Sure, it gives a 3dB boost when using the y-connector, but so what? Subwoofer signal processing is Mono so a sub amp with L/R inputs merely SUMS the two inputs inside the sub amp at line level.

The difference in any 3dB boost or lack thereof is made up in the final sub calibration. There is no problem if the sub amp volume/gain control can be set at midpoint or somewhat higher and the rcvr's sub level range can be kept below its midrange point, when balancing the dB output with Mains with a sound pressure level mter.

And Adam, it's usually best to put the sub in one of the front corners, at the two longest walls, if wire can be run without tripping over it!

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks, fellas.
I'm just slightly confused as the note in the JBL booklet states that I should be fine as I only have one terminal out for the subwoofer.
"...to either the left or right line-level input on the subwoofer. It makes no difference which jack you choose."
I think I'll be fine for now. If I ever come across a cheapie Y adapter, I'll experiement.
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have room for the sub in one of the corners... and the cord tripping problem won't be an issue. :D

StephenZ

Grip
I have the PB10.......I bought a 25' rg6 coax cable from Radio Shack. Also got an RCA/coax adapter and Y splitter.
It all cost under 20 bucks and works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks