What's new

Can I sell an unopened Directv receiver w/o penelties?? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I found a true bargain priced new in box Directv Ultimatetv receiver and am seriously considering buying it and reselling it online.

I am a current Directv customer, and own an Ultimatetv receiver, but considering the price some folks are paying for these discontinued receivers, I am really tempted to buy the new one then turn around and sell.

Question is, am I tied to that receiver and I am the only one who can activate the access card within the 30 day period or be penalized, or since I am a current customer, is that stipulation and penelty fee "waived"?

What do I tell the store I buy it from? "Hey I'm a customer, and just replacing an old receiver" or "It's a gift, I won't be activating it"??

If I sell it, do I have to tell the buyer he/she has X number of days to activate? Most of the new ones I see auctioned off are saying "no activation/contract required".

I just don't want to get socked with the $150 penelty DTV throws at you when you sign the "contract" at the local store.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
What do I tell the store I buy it from? "Hey I'm a customer, and just replacing an old receiver" or "It's a gift, I won't be activating it"??
You are flirting with trouble.

Do you know why people are paying huge sums of money for DirecTV receivers? The answer is: They aren't. They're paying huge sums of money for the access card that is within the receiver. DirecTV is in the process of issuing new cards, and HU cards (The cards with the football player on them) are getting harder to find.

Why do people care about this? Because, with an HU card, they can pirate satellite signals.

You don't want to get involved here. Buying & selling DirecTV access cards, even "fresh" cards direct from the store, could very well be illegal. I advise you to not do this.

One last thing: If you buy from the store, that card is going to be put into your name. You're then obligated to sign up for service. If you already have service, it is expected that you will hook your new access card up as a second (or third, or fourth, etc) receiver in your home, along with the $5 monthly fee. If you don't, you'll get hit with the penalty.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I agree with Ryan looks like too much possible trouble to be worth small amount of money you could make. What you could do is work as a consultant (for a small fee)explaining to people how they can get this "Great deal". ;)
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks