What's new

Can I run this amazing monitor with my MacBook Pro? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh. wow. Bezel centered, both monitors off center. That’s...a choice.

I see why you’re so desperate to get an UWD if your approach to computing has been bezels in your prime focus area.

(i use one monitor centered and second monitor to the right. I want my primary work orientation to be straight and centered. Not always all day looking right or left.)

That's the problem. I have those bezels dead center of my view. I don't have the desk space to move the monitors as you have.

Hopefully someone will have experience with arm mounts to advise whether that will work in my situation.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If I go 21" to the left-center to mount, will there be enough arm extension in the mount to make the screen centered across the desk? Is it a bad idea to mount it in that fashion?

I like the swing arm idea as I can move the monitor forward if I have problems reading it.

A swing arm stand might let you move the monitor forward. However, I do not think that this particular Loctek Monitor Heavy Duty Desk Arm Stand would work for you.

It has a "forwards/backwards" extension range of 23.5 inches. It looks as if you get that by placing the clamp behind the center of the monitor, then making "equal and opposite" swivel angle adjustments. If the clamp was 21 inches to the left of the center of the monitor, you'd need to spend much or all of that swivel extension range on "side/side" reach. Nothing much would be left over for "forwards/backwards" adjustments, if there was even enough room to make the stand work with your monitor and desk at all.

If you are still in the market for a swing arm, "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A swing arm stand might let you move the monitor forward. However, I do not think that this particular Loctek Monitor Heavy Duty Desk Arm Stand would work for you.

It has a "forwards/backwards" extension range of 23.5 inches. It looks as if you get that by placing the clamp behind the center of the monitor, then making "equal and opposite" swivel angle adjustments. If the clamp was 21 inches to the left of the center of the monitor, you'd need to spend much or all of that swivel extension range on "side/side" reach. Nothing much would be left over for "forwards/backwards" adjustments, if there was even enough room to make the stand work with your monitor and desk at all.

If you are still in the market for a swing arm, "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Thanks, Thomas. I will stick with the stand then

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So now we turn to the DIY part of this thread.

I really want that swing arm. I can do it if I cut a hole in the wood backing of my desk to allow for the clamping.

What tool can be used to cut into a 2" wood desk backing while it's erect and supporting the desk?

IMG_0070.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's probably easier and more stable to drill a hole through the desktop for the stand. All the ones I've seen can be mounted either with a clamp on the back, or through a hole in the top.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For those of you still following this (and I sincerely thank you for doing so), I have a question about desk mounted swing arms which I will ask momentarily.

I came very close last night to just buying the LG 49WL95C-W monitor. I could have it next week delivered from Amazon. BestBuy does not carry it.

However, review after review I have read has raised issues with Macbook Pros successfully working with this monitor -- even the new 2019 16" MBP. Here is a perfect example of what people are running into. Start watching at 7:21 for about 10 seconds and you will see the very problem that many people have been experiencing.

So, for that issue alone, I can't buy this monitor and just hope that I won't experience the same problem. If I could buy it from BestBuy today and have the ability to return it, I would chance it. Not from Amazon.

Now my next question...

I'd like to mount my next Ultrawide monitor off the desk. I don't want to drill holes in the wall so a clamp desk mount would be ideal.

This one is highly rated:

Here is the problem. My desk has thick wood back paneling along its back that would prevent me from clamping this on dead center. However, the wood backing does not completely cover the entire desk.

If I go 21" to the left-center to mount, will there be enough arm extension in the mount to make the screen centered across the desk? Is it a bad idea to mount it in that fashion?

I like the swing arm idea as I can move the monitor forward if I have problems reading it.

View attachment 75929

Wow, that reviewer sounds like Aaron Paul... Bitches!!!

Ron. I can tell you, that blanking issue is not unique to Mac's or Ultrawides but it may be unique to LG as I also experience it with my LG43U79 on occasion. It's so rare and random that I haven't bothered contacting LG or attempting any troubleshooting beyond ensuring I had the latest software driver loaded. I don't blame you for being concerned. I personally don't mind it so much but do have concerns about what it means regarding long term reliability.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's probably easier and more stable to drill a hole through the desktop for the stand. All the ones I've seen can be mounted either with a clamp on the back, or through a hole in the top.

I don't feel comfortable drilling bolts into the top of the desk but that may be the only option if I can't saw the back of the desk. I will have to research bolt sizes with that stand.

Wow, that reviewer sounds like Aaron Paul... Bitches!!!

Ron. I can tell you, that blanking issue is not unique to Mac's or Ultrawides but it may be unique to LG as I also experience it with my LG43U79 on occasion. It's so rare and random that I haven't bothered contacting LG or attempting any troubleshooting beyond ensuring I had the latest software driver loaded. I don't blame you for being concerned. I personally don't mind it so much but do have concerns about what it means regarding long term reliability.

Yeah, John, my mind is made up. No LG monitor though it's better due to the IPS. The Dell 49" Ultrawide was another consideration but two reviews I watched on YouTube complained about (what else) not enough curvature.

Gonna wait out the availability of the Samsung G9 Odyssey.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, that stand has the option to mount the way I said. No need to research bolt sizes. They call it the “Grommet Approach” in their specs. It comes with the hardware that’s needed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, that stand has the option to mount the way I said. No need to research bolt sizes. They call it the “Grommet Option” in their specs. It comes with the hardware that’s needed.

Excellent. My bad for not reading the specs on included hardware.

So, I just have to drill a single hole down in the desk and clamp it beneath.

This is looking more "do-able" by the minute.

Thanks for the response, John!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, John, my mind is made up. No LG monitor though it's better due to the IPS. The Dell 49" Ultrawide was another consideration but two reviews I watched on YouTube complained about (what else) not enough curvature.

Gonna wait out the availability of the Samsung G9 Odyssey.

Ron, the Dell ultrawide is probably the same 3800R curvature as the LG.

You might also wanna check out the other somewhat less expensive Samsung (49RG90) w/ 1800R curvature. Since you're not a gamer, that model might actually suit you better. And I suspect it'll be more reliable than what seems like a bleeding edge model in the Samsung Odyssey G9 (49TG90) -- the bleeding edge 1000R curvature may be what's causing the "recall" issue you mentioned.

Honestly, I wouldn't wanna trust an expensive, bleeding edge purchase from Samsung. IMO, they don't seem to have a particularly good track record for quality assurance and reliability... and this model you've been pining for has already had a serious issue...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man,

That Samsung monitor seems like a good recommendation. The reviews are very, very good. It doesn't have the extreme curve of the G9 Odyssey, but it has a more pronounced curve over the Dell and LG.

I just hope it has all the necessary specs of being a great productivity monitor. YouTube reviews suggest so

Here is the problem...

I was going to buy it tonight/this morning.

You can't get it online and that worries me. Has it been taken off the market? If so, why? Is the demand that great you can't obtain one?

Can't buy it off Samsung's site which is really odd
Amazon only sells used ones
MicroCenter is in-store only
BH Photo is back-ordered until September
Best Buy doesn't even sell it

EDIT: I am thinking a recall was done on this monitor as well. Lots of complaints in the review section of Samsung's product page including backlighting bleed and dead pixels. Amazon reviews also rampant with complaints about dead pixels.

It seems to me I can't win in finding the perfect monitor

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I found a store that actually has 6 of these left

It's about a 50-minute ride for me to the store

I never ordered anything from Micro Center. They seem to be legit.

I am just worried about buying this particular model after many complaints about dead pixels.

However, it seems they have a 15-day return policy.

I'll think on this one for sure!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Excellent. My bad for not reading the specs on included hardware.

So, I just have to drill a single hole down in the desk and clamp it beneath.

This is looking more "do-able" by the minute.

Thanks for the response, John!!
One of the photos in the Amazon listing you linked shows the two mounting options. With a huge monitor like that, I'd lean toward mounting to a hole, so there's no way it can slip off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg

Just set this up. So far it looks great. Was able to immediately get it into 5120x1440 60Hz

Going to leave the stand on it for now. Not sure I want to fool with the swing arm mount as from reading reviews, it's very hard for one person to mount this. What I saved on the arm swing I made up for in the warranty (see below)

The screen is very readable. This is exactly what I wanted, however, I have only been using this for 5 minutes to post here.

The place I bought it from, Micro Center, is excellent. Because this display has its share of good and bad reviews, I bought a $150 warranty that covers me for two years. If anything goes wrong with this monitor in that time period, I can return it and get full store credit towards anything I want (aka another monitor). That deal put me in peace-of-mind. I don't have to sit here and worry if this thing acts up after the 15-day return period.

I want to thank everyone who helped me in this thread. You really put up with a lot of indecision which is exactly what you get when dealing with me.

I want to particularly thank _MAN_ as he was the one that suggested this monitor as an alternative. It was a great suggestion.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to admit, that looks pretty cool. I'll stick with my dual monitors creating the same desktop, though. No doubt you'll find that dot pitch (text size, for example) a huge improvement from what you've been using. I still run browsers at 110% since I find things a bit small for my taste. It's easy to change in Firefox. Command>+/- adjusts the size and when you're on anything other than 100% it shows up in the browser's menu, right next to the URL.

Maybe you put a few more things in your dock now. :P

Sorry, I've never seen a dock with so much stuff in it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0076.jpeg
(click on photo for full image)

Yeah, I have a lot of apps.

This just happened. I have a program called LIVING WEATHER which provides a live animated background wallpaper according to the weather.

When I first plugged my Macbook in this was full widescreen (see photos in prior post). Suddenly, it switched to a kind of 4:3 ratio.

Don't know how I managed to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks