What's new

Can I return my new truck??? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I bought a used car from Auto Nation, and they had a 72 hr return period, no questions asked. So while it may not be law, it's no myth either, I'm sure many dealers have it as a sales argument. It was nice to have 72 hrs to take it to a shop and have it checked out and drive it around a bit, knowing that if anything serious showed up I could return it (fortunately it was fine :)).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, have it in writing that it was low FROM THE FACTORY for your own protection.

I would also agree with having them extend your warranty on the powertrain, at the very least out of good faith and customer relations.

"coolling off period" or "buyer's remorse" - In Ca., every dealership I've been in now has a sign up in their main lobby stating that there is no LAW that allows you to return your car within ANY period of time, once you have signed the paperwork.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
So while it may not be law, it's no myth either
How does Auto Nation's store policy make a Buyer's Remorse Law any more real? It's simply one store's idea of good customer service and it does not mean there's the rule of law behind it. Nor does Auto Nation's customer return policy make a "Buyer's Remorse Law" any less a myth.

Think about it. If Best Buy lets me return an unopened DVD, does that mean there's a new "Unopened DVD Law" that applies to all DVD transactions? If Target decides to charge a restocking fee on returned digital cameras, does that mean Congress just passed the "Megapixel Bill of 2002"? Hardly.

What Auto Nation does has no bearing on what any other dealer does as it relates to a Buyer's Remorse Law. It may prompt the Chevrolet dealer next door to loosen up his return policy, but it's competitive pressure--not a law--that causes a change in the dealer's policy.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Bill, take it easy, I understood what you meant the first time you wrote it (and the second, and the third :)). I was just explaining the possible reason why people THINK there is such a law.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks