Can I return my new truck???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leroy, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Just wondering. I just bought a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X2. I put about 350 miles on it and my transmission got kinda wonky on me(I got a warning light too). So I took it in to the dealer to have it checked out.

I'm hoping I'm not stuck with a lemon. I know about the Lemon Law here in Texas, but don't I have the right to return the vehicle and ask that it be replaced with another?

I have zero confidence in this vehichle now and don't want to always worry about the transmission when I traveling about(to other states for mountain biking, hiking etc).

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't know about Tx specifically, but the normal rule for the Lemon Law is that the vehicle has to be taken in 5 times for the same problem and not repaired to your satisfaction OR be out of service and not in your possession for 30 days (I believe). Beyond that, I don't think there is anything you are legally capable of doing. It is highly unlikely that the dealer will exchange your vehicle for another one.

Sorry to hear it.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Did you buy it outright? or are you financing? You should have received an extended warranty. The fact that the light came on, may simply be a sensor (vehicle speed,map, temp etc). There are many factors, if it's an internal transmission problem, your extended warranty should cover it, also ask for car rental allowance if your trans is in question. Most extended warranty companies will cover a few days rental for a job like that. I'd say at this stage(350 miles), just because your transmission "seemed" kind of wonky doesn't neccessarily mean a trans problem. Luckily your engine light came on, and the dealer will be able to retrieve the codes related to your actual problem[​IMG]

5. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Well, I would hope so since I just drove it off the lot last Saturday!! This is why I have avoided buying automatics for the last 12 years. But, in order to get the power locks/windows/mirrors you HAVE to get an automatic.

I've actually seen that page, but I was more wondering about being able to basically exchange it for another identical truck without the hassle of arbitration, lawyers etc. I mean I've had it for 7 days.

6. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Leroy:

You didn't say what happened when you took it to the dealer to have checked out. Did they find anything wrong? Did they repair anything? What kind of warning light did you get? I didn't know there were any "transmission" warning lights, but then things change so fast they may now have them and I wouldn't know it.

Deane

7. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I've been waiting since Friday to find out what's wrong. The light that came on was the overdrive light. According to the owners manual, when the light comes on(and blinks) a serious problem may be occuring that could damage the transmission.

What was happening was the shifts started to be "off" or it would drop down a gear and rev really high repeatedly.

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I've never had a probelm wiht a car this soon, and of course never purchased a vehichle with an automatic transmission. I'm hoping it's just one of the solenoids that controls the O/D (from the research I've done there are a couple of solenoids on the transmission).

I figured there wouldn't be much I could do about it until it happens again. But, it never hurts to ask.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yes the O/D light will blink if there's a problem. They will be able to retreive codes from that. It's just a waiting game now, I've seen it be a simple as a vss(vehicle speed sensor) or as complicated as gear errors. Good luck.

9. Deane Johnson

I can certainly understand your concern. It could certainly be a very simple thing causing the problem that was easily fixed. Time will tell. Let's hope for the best.

Deane

10. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

not to try an steal the thread, but its common knowledge: Fix Or Repair Daily

11. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Hmmm some of us can own many a Ford and not have any problems... I personally hate these jokes about car companies. I've heard them for all of them, which car company don't you like?? Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, VW, etc... you can always find someone to provide a comment.

I for one have never hard a problem with any Ford I've owned.

As to the topic of this thread, I wouldn't know how lemon laws work, but Leroy if it really is a lemon I'm sure you won't get stuck with it.

Brian

12. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

If your dealer is any good, they'll make it right. Give them a chance to do the right thing, and be clear about what you want. They probably won't refund your money, but you might get some compensation for your time, trouble, etc. Don't wait for them to volunteer something--tell them exactly what you want (money, free rental car, topper, etc.). If you don't ask, you don't get.

13. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Bill hit the nail on the head. Make sure that you talk to them and tell them your concerns about the reliability issues. Get them to compensate you in some way or talk to them about getting a replacment. And if they allow you to return it I just purchased a new F350 truck and have a full sized F250 7.8L 460 Fully loaded in perfect condition you can buy [​IMG]
    KyleS

14. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well, with what 7 or 8 days now I think you are well past any buyers remorse codes that the state may have. Some states have these that on a big purchase you are able to return the product for a full refund (provided it is in identical condition as when it was sold).

To go even further, some dealers offer return policies as well, those can range from a few days to a full month. So you should certainly check with the dealer, but I would try and do it as quietly as possible to avoid being labeled as a trouble maker.

Also, this may just be simple problem that when fixed will never show up again. The chances of getting a real lemon are fairly small, the stories make big waves, but for every lemon you read/hear/see about there are thousands upon thousands of other cars with no problems at all.

Andrew

15. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Well, got it back today. I'm hoping this was just one time thing.

The problem: Apparantly my truck was sent out, from the factory, with a low transmission fluid level. The low fluid level was causing the mis-shifts between 3-4, 4-3.

I'm glad it was just a small thing, but I'm thinking that someone fell asleep as my truck rolled by the insepction line!! ThHe fact that this has occured has done nothing but undermine my confidence in my new Ford. This coming from a 4 time Ford owner.

16. Deane Johnson

It should have been caught by the dealer when they preped it for delivery. My guess is that they do little of that anymore.

Deane

17. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

18. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Its half myth, half truth. I'm sure it varies from state to state, but in the state of New Mexico, it goes like this:

19. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Good to hear that it was that and hope it doesn't cause any longterm problems.. I did suggest to check the ATF fluid didn't I? [​IMG]
    I'm soon to pick up a new car and I have a checklist of things to do before I even sign the papers, alot of it is checking to see if the fluids are topped and the fuses installed, the air pressure in the tires and spare, and all the good stuff like that.
    Maybe since the dealer should of caught that in the first place, you could haggle your way into a free extended warrentee, after all, who knows if their little guffaw caused some unnecessary wear and tear in your transmission that they will claim no responsibility when you're 5-6 years down the road with your Ranger?
    Jay

20. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It took them 7-8 days to figure out it was the fluid? Not to be the Pessimist or anything but are you sure that was the only thing? What did they do just fill up the fluid or did they replace your transmission? If they just filled up the fluid what the hell took them so long, and do you trust there was no permanent damage? If they just filled up the fluid make Damn sure that it is noted it was Ford's or the dealers fault so if you have problems anytime in the future with the transmission you have recourse. Best to cover your ass then to have problems and the dealer gives you the shaft (rare but it does happen)
    Hey I am a Ford owner and have been for a long time and I trust the trucks but just be careful. [​IMG]
    KyleS