What's new

Can I replace my sub and keep my satellites? (1 Viewer)

Steve Moerbe

Auditioning
I am brand new to this forum, and I wish that I had found it sooner. I got a home theater system this time last year and I went with the Bose Acoustimass 10 System. Now that I have had my system for a year, I am sorely disappointed with the bass. If I purchase a different sub (maybe JBL PB10) can I successfully use the 5 satellite cube arrays that came with the Bose system? Can anyone recommend a sub for around $300USD?

I just ordered a home theater setup dvd along with a SPL meter, but I don't think it will change the amount of bass that the Acoustimass Bass Module can reproduce. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE1075.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is the key right here: Bass Module. Bose does not make subs. The bass module handles the x-over for the cubes, and if you do not have a receiver with the ability to set your x-over to something like 200Hz, you may be out of luck (I am pretty sure the cubes do not have the x-overs built into them). What you may be able to do is just set the Bose setup to small and just add a real sub to the mix.
For your other question:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=104930
Last thought, sell the Bose setup on e-bay.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
No, the Bose Acoustimass Module has the crossover and power management for the satellites built in. Think of it as the woofer of a normal speaker, and the cubes ans the tweeters and midrange drivers. The satellites only reach down to 250 hz. A real sub should crossover at 120hz or below. You would have a huge gap without the Bass module. (Well, there is one there already, but why make it bigger.)

You can just add a powered sub to the lfe out on your reciever and keep the Bose. (Remember, it it the woofer for the rest of the speakers)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks