Can I record to DVD while watching another show?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michelle Schmid, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    After 6 years I finally decided to replace my old RCA DVD player (still works flawlessly!) with a basic DVD recorder. However, a lot of the shows that family members want recorded I don't want to watch. I purchased a dual tuner HD 921 receiver specifically for this purpose. Now, however, we want to transfer some of those recordings (plus new shows) to DVD. But I cannot figure out how to record one show to DVD and watch another. Is this even possible? I have:

DishNetwork dual tuner HD 921
    Pioneer DVR-220S
    Pioneer VSX-D608 receiver
    Panasonic 32" flat screen HDTV

I've connected the 921 to the TV w/component cables & to the DVR w/S-video (into the L1 input). Both have sound connections via optical cables to the receiver. I've then connected the DVR to the TV via component. Is there another connection I need to make? Something I missed? Or should I take the thing back and get a different/more capable model? Please help!

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Since the 921 only has a single video output (well multiple outputs, but all showing the same thing), you can't output to DVD & something else to the TV at the same time. You'll have to transfer recordings while you aren't otherwise using the 921.

To do both at the same time you'd need a second video source, e.g. a 2nd satellite receiver. Not really worth it IMO, just do DVD transfers just before you go to sleep or to work etc.

3. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    Thanks Stephen. I suspected as much, but was really hoping I could do a bunch at one time. Oh well. I actually do have another satellite receiver, but don't want to bother with having yet more lines run to the house and paying another monthly fee.

I do have one more question, though. I can set the DVD player to turn on/off at specific times, but I don't think I can with the 921. Does it have a sleep timer? Currently when it gets to the end of the recorded program it goes to the options screen and will stay there for hours until I tell it what I want it to do (found this out with my first DVD recording. I set it and left the house and when I came back much later it was still waiting for instructions.) Will this hurt it if I do this a lot?

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I don't have a 921 so I don't know about any sleep timers. Letting it stay on the options screen won't hurt anything on the 921. It's basically a computer waiting for input, there's nothing being worn down.

5. cliff p

cliff p Auditioning

This dilema is the reason I am so loyal to cable. You can split the signal and run it to multiple units, each having their own individual tuner.