Can I read a DVD (data) from DOS ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Marc Colella, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Our loadset images at work are getting pretty large and are now spanning 4 CDs. We have many different images which will result in a massive amount of CDs to distribute and store.

Was thinking about burning the images to DVD instead since I can fit around 4.9GB of data on one single disc.

Was wondering if the data on a DVD (not CD) can be accessed through DOS - since image dumps are done through DOS.

Anyone know if it's possible?

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Hmmm ... I would assume so. Most (if not all) DVD-ROM drives are ATAPI-compliant devices. They're nothing more than high-capacity CD-ROM drives.

As long as you have a DOS driver, which might actually be a standard CD-ROM driver, I can't see why not. After all, even commercial DVDs are really nothing more than ISO data discs with a specific file and directory structure that identifies them as movie DVDs.

3. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Well i gotta say this question interested me so I poped in a dvd to the ol` dvd drive stuck in a boot disk and rebooted. All the data is there so it looks like standard atapi drivers are a-ok.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Thanks Blake.

I tried it out myself today and sure enough, the data's all there.