can i put sub behind ht gear

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan M., Nov 21, 2002.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

in the house we just bought the only place i could put my tv stand which also houses my components is caddy(sp?) corner in one part of the room because of a fireplace which takes up the best spot. would it be ok if i put my sub behind all of the ht equipment in the corner. i know the corner of the room is usually the best place to put a sub and all of the other corners are taken. the place where it is now just does not look good (w.a.f. [​IMG]) would putting it back there hurt anything? it is a boston acoustic pv600. any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

2. Ronald Volkman

Evan,

I had tried my SVS PC+ 16-46 behind my 55" TV in the corner. I don't think there would have been any problem, but the lower front panel of the TV rattled too much with every low note. That made me think that I didn't want the circuit boards in the TV vibrating constantly either.

Ron

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

thank you for the quick reply, i don't have a projection set, it is only a 27" flat screen pannasonic. would this still be a problem? the reason why i am concerned is that this will be as close to a permanent thing as one will get. i just don't want to do any damage to any of my stuff through prolonged vibration. i will hopefully be upgrading the sub in the next year to something a bit more powerful, maybe an svs, and that is where it would go too.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

If it is too close to the TV, the magnet might distort the color on the TV. I would be more worried about that than rattles, but rattles are a concern too.

5. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

You could try and dampen the vibrations under your TV, just to be safe...
    Maybe pick up some 1/4" x 1" foam weather stripping (adhesive one side), and put a couple layers under each foot of your TV.
    And chances are good that your sub won't quite put out the same oomph as the SVS PC+ 16-46 mentioned above [​IMG] .

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I have this same kittie corner setup with the sub (Hsu TN1220HO) behind the RPTV. No problems whatsoever but I can understand the vibration concern [​IMG]
    My driver is 4' up in the air so no concern for me with magnetic interference with the CRT's. Make sure your sub driver does not interfere with yours. Sub in the corner also tends to give the best bass unless your sitting on it.