1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

can i put speakers behind blackout cloth?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by toddAllen, Jan 14, 2005.

1. toddAllen

toddAllen Extra

anyone tried putting their speakers behind a black out cloth screen? i just made my screen yesterday, and think that if i could mount it with the speakers behind it, it would obviously look a lot better. but i don't want to do this at the expense of rolling off everything above 10k . anyone tried this or know the answer? thanks, todd.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No reason not to - most speakers have cloth grills, after all. Obviously, don’t use anything with a dense thread count. The more daylight you can see through it, the better it will pass high frequencies - use your existing grills as a reference. And definitely, take the grills off the speakers permanently if you do this.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I highly doubt this will work. Blackout cloth is not perf'd enough to allow sound to travel through it. It's too dense.

4. toddAllen

toddAllen Extra

anyone ever tried it? i have to agree that the black out cloth is probably too dense, but just wondering if anyone has tried it, thanks, todd.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You can buy accoustically transparent fabric, the same stuff used for grills. Depending on the type, it could be opaque enough to use for blackout cloth.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Wayne!

He said blackout cloth, which is a dense, solid thick plastic material used for screens, like a vinyl curtain. It blocks all light and is completely solid. Sounds like you read grille cloth or something instead!

You absolutely would *never* want to put speakers behind a non-perfed screen like blackout cloth. It will completely kill your highs and obliterate any hope of good sound.

If you want to place speakers behind a screnn you need a perforated screen which is going to be a LOT more expensive than DIY blackout cloth. Under no situations would I ever put anything (other than a subwoofer) behind a non-perfed screen. Place your speakers to the sides /in front of the screen or your sound will suck.

7. toddAllen

toddAllen Extra

thats what i assumed, but thanks for clearing it up. todd.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

http://www.dazian.com/ sells perforated screen material that would be a much better solution then using blackout cloth with its rubbery backing.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yeah, sorry about that. Guess I’m not terribly familiar with what all goes into a room with a real screen. I figured he just wanted to hide then behind a panel of some kind. :b

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Indeed!

Of course, you are very right that putting speakers behind acoustically transparent cloths like grille cloth can be a great way to hide the speakers.

But screens aren't transparent at all unless they're perforated, and even then it still will affect the freq response a small but not insignificant amount. I wouldn't even dare put bose speakers behind an unperfed screen!