What's new

Can I put my receiver on top of my CD player? (1 Viewer)

I have a Denon 3802 receiver (which is very heavy), and I am planning to buy a Sony 400 CD changer. I am wondering if I could put the reciever on top of the CD player since the receiver has ventilation holes at the top. Will this do any harm? Your input is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alexander

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I have a JVC prologic reciever that I stacked on top of a Sony 5 disc changer and I never had a problem. As a matter of fact that unit is in my garage now and still performs with no problems. My mom has her Sony receiver on top of her 300 disc CD changer and has been like that for over two years. I dont know how heavy the 3802 is but the Sony receiver my mom has is a 5 channel receiver.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have my JVC 888 on my pioneer 200 mega changer/no problem. Just make sure the feet are near the edge where the cabinet is strong. I have a Sony 333es, but have opted to leave my Denon by its self. The 3802 is not as heavy as I thought it would be and has a small footprint compared to other high end rcvrs.

Ps / how is that 400? I have wondered if I payed too much by going with the ES.

Earl,

Thanks for your input. I haven't purchased the CD player yet, but I will have it soon. I wanted to know this before I purchased it.

Alexander

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Sony stereo receiver on top of my 301 disc Pioneer changer and it works fine, but my Sony is a baby compared to your Denon beast.

Like Earl said, just make sure the feet are close to the outside edges of cd player so that the side walls can support the weight of the receiver. Alternatively, you could just get a piece of MDF or Plexiglass (for aesthetics) cut to the footprint of the cd player's top surface to distribute the Denon's weight more evenly, so that top to bottom, the order would go: receiver, MDF/Plex, cd player.

Good luck.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Alternatively, you could just get a piece of MDF or Plexiglass (for aesthetics) cut to the footprint of the cd player's top surface to distribute the Denon's weight more evenly
Just be sure not to put it the other way around, with the MDF/plexiglass on top of the receiver! Talk about bad ventilation!

(fixed a logic-cum-grammar problem)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Let me be the one to chime in here and recommend against putting the 3802 on top of a CD player.

Weight is only one part of the equation. That receiver is capable of putting out a fair amount of heat, which is bad for CD players. Yes, heat rises, but it is still a concern.

You might be able to get away with it, but if there is any alternative, the receiver should be on its own.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Ken. Putting a receiver on top of another component is not advised. The Denon '3802 weighs around 37 lbs., and that's a lot weight for the CD player to take. Above all, the receiver will generate a lot of heat, and I wouldn't subject a CD player to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks