Can I put an SVS sub directly behind a RPTV set in the corner???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Is it bad for a RPTV? Thx.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Not really bad, just that it will wreck your picture. The drivers in SVSubs aren't shielded. If placed close to a TV they will cause the image to distort.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

It depends on how far/close it's placed. My 16-46pci is about 3ft from my 36" Sony XBR direct view and it doesn't bother my picture. BTW I believe Sony XBRs are probably one of the most sensitive TVs to magnetic fields.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Also keep in mind the guns for a RPTV are near the floor. While the gun on your direct view will be up above the top of your TV stand. So your diagnol distance to the driver magnet will be more than the floor distance.

5. FredV

FredV Agent

I suspect he's concerned about the vibration messing up the picture guns or some such, not about stray magnetic fields. I wonder about this myself.

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Since it might help to know what we've discovered... with many thousands of SVS's in customers' homes, we've only had one or two issues with subs and their proximity to a display (direct view, RPTV whatever). This is where the screen shield on an odd RPTV would rattle/vibrate visibly due to bass waves striking it. Moving the sub a few feet seemed to correct the situation.

While it's true SVS's are not shielded, we're still waiting for the first instance where it seems to matter.

Ron

7. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Josh,

I have my family room setup just like that...2 12" subwoofers stacked in the corner directly behind my 47" Panny widescreen. The cabinets are heavy 100+ pound Orion XTR dual-vented enclosures built 10 years ago, they are left over from my car audio days and holding me over until I get my 2 AV15's. They receive 700 watts apiece from a QSC PLX2402.

They are nearly touching the RPTV and there is absolutely no magnetic issues. The vents are facing into the corner though; away from the TV, and the drivers are mounted inside of the cabinet.

Vibration is another story! The corner loading provides TREMENDOUS reinforcement and efficiency of the low-end. I found that the rear of the cabinet resonated and vibrated horribly! I quieted this noise by stacking 4 heavy blankets on the 45 degree angle of the back cabinet.

If I turn the volume up louder than I normally listen, the image slightly jitters with each bass hit! This is not noticeable at normal volumes.

Aaron Smith

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

For what it's worth...
    Sony 48-RPTV, with the exact situation you describe...
    A cloned first series SVS-2039PCI tube useing their first released driver, powered with a PE-250 built in plate amp and in the corner of the room.
    The rear of RPTV is setting 1" from touching the sub.
    Also, we have 2 other DIY sealed SVS first series driver subs in the room, though not behind the RPTV. No picture related problems at all with our set. RPTV guns have not come out of adjustment, nothing broke internaly, this after 6 months+ of this placement.
    ~{The protective screen did flex and shake violently with serious SPL making nasty noises and blurred the picture slightly}~ when doing Referance on big bass movies like LOR,TS,TPM,U571,etc)!
    A little DIY on the protective screen and the noise and blur is gone, though you can litterly see the thing flex on big bass hits.
    Due to our room layout this placement is forced and we had concerns just as you do. We were carefull to start out and as time went on spl went up and up, till referance has proved to NOT be a Sony RPTV problem to this point, aside from the protective screen situation which has been DIY fixed as mentioned.
    We listened to most movies at -10 to -15 under most of the time, and with 3 subs the output is shared. So it not the same as if the 2039 clone is providing all the output which would obviously create more bass pressure behind the set.
    My brother has a Phillips 52" RPTV with 2-Sealed DIY Shivas and 600-watts behind his RPTV. Same placement as mine, in the corner....He actully has about a foot from the stacked subs to the back of the set. He choose this corner set up and could have it different if he wanted, but his priority is being able to look out all the glass in his large room, as he lives deep in the woods of West Michigan. Just could not talk him out of the corner RPTV placement. His big ass system could sound so much better.
    Sorry bro, you can kill me later.[​IMG]
    NO problems so far, but his RPTV sounded like it was going to come appart when hitting big spl's. Awfull vibrations of the RPTV's (cabinet exterior and front protective screen)! No picture problems as of yet with his set, (3-1/2 months+) but major DIY work has been done to get the cabinet to not vibrate when wanting to crank it up.
    I doubt you will have an problems aside from bigger spl vibration problems, and obviously this can't be good on the interior componets of the set. Lower spl levels probley won't hurt much if at all, but if you want to push it all the time spl wise, it could take life off componets on the inside of the set I would imagen.
    Proceed with some caution as your milage may vary.
    Good RPTV Bass-en...[​IMG]
    Geoff

9. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I have twin 16-46CS+'s right next to my Toshiba 65HDX81 RP with no problems.

I did have to use isolation mounts on the Pioneer DVD on top of the Tosh because the subs caused so much vibration on the RP's cabinet that the player would skip with heavy bass CD's played at very high levels.

Best regards.

10. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Im surprised noone has had convergence problems.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

11. Rajiv Arya

Rajiv Arya Auditioning

I build a sono-sub for my father, and he placed it behind his 60 inch RPTV. The only problem is vibrations. From my understanding the magnetic field generated by unshielded drivers, will only affect Direct viewing TV's, due to the tube.

Good luck
    Rajiv