Can I put a sub directly behind my TV?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Trevin Chow, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Trevin Chow

Trevin Chow Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony KF50WE610 (50" GWIII LCD RPTV) which is placed in the corner of my room creating a pocket behind the TV where I could place a sub. This would be ideal for the whole "wife acceptance factor" since the sub would be out of sight completely. A sub like the SVS 25-32Pci would fit perfectly in this space and I've heard SV subs are ideal for corner placement.

The sub wouldn't be touching the tv directly -- there would be about a 3-4" distance from edge of sub to TV.

However, I'm wondeirng if the close proximity to the TV is going to be a problem? I have this vision of seeing the internals of my TV being shaken out of alignment (or something crazy like that). Theoritically I can see this being possible, but should I really be worried?

2. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

My vote is it should be o.k. I'd pay attention to see if the sub causes any interference with your TV first. Depending on how close the sub actually is, it may cause magnetic interference with your tubes (the tubes on RPTV are at the bottom), and the SVS is unshielded. If there is interference you may notice your convergence is getting thrown out.

As for the sub being too close ... no matter where the TV is, it will vibrate with the SVS on ... along with your walls, your doors, your [​IMG]

When I had a RPTV, I had my subs (SVS & DIY) about 2 feet away and I never had any problems.

3. Trevin Chow

I didn't realize the SVS was unshielded. That would be pretty bad to have it only 3" away from the rear of my TV i'm guessing, no? 3" is quite a bit different than the 2 ft in your case.

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Does your RPTV suffer from magnetic fields? Most don't. If not, then you should be fine.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

My PB2+ is right next to my RPHDTV. The guns are pretty solidly mounted and the TV ISF calibration tech told me the vibes won't be an issue.

I used to think RPHDTV's were relatively immune to mag interference, but he proved me wrong. We moved the TV around a bit and it immediately altered the convergence. Ditto when we moved the PB2+. Those are big heavy mags on the drivers and they definitely have an effect on the TV, as they are probably only about 18" from the nearest gun.

This is no big deal if you get everything set where you want it and then hit the auto convergence button on the TV. It sets the convergence with the mag effect of the SVS already in the loop and the picture comes back perfectly. You just have to reconverge every time you move the TV or the sub, that's all.

6. Trevin Chow

7. Lito

Lito Agent

the grand wega doesn't have any crt's that will be affected
    by the unshielded svs. i'd be more worried about circuit
    boards and traces fatiguing due to the bass excitation.

that said, my klw-7000 (grand daddy of the gwII) has lived
    in close proximity to my svs for several years now.

8. Trevin Chow

Lito: How close is your sub to your TV?

I emailed SVS about this and here's what they had to say:

9. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator