What's new

Can I put a sub directly behind my TV? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony KF50WE610 (50" GWIII LCD RPTV) which is placed in the corner of my room creating a pocket behind the TV where I could place a sub. This would be ideal for the whole "wife acceptance factor" since the sub would be out of sight completely. A sub like the SVS 25-32Pci would fit perfectly in this space and I've heard SV subs are ideal for corner placement.

The sub wouldn't be touching the tv directly -- there would be about a 3-4" distance from edge of sub to TV.

However, I'm wondeirng if the close proximity to the TV is going to be a problem? I have this vision of seeing the internals of my TV being shaken out of alignment (or something crazy like that). Theoritically I can see this being possible, but should I really be worried?

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
My vote is it should be o.k. I'd pay attention to see if the sub causes any interference with your TV first. Depending on how close the sub actually is, it may cause magnetic interference with your tubes (the tubes on RPTV are at the bottom), and the SVS is unshielded. If there is interference you may notice your convergence is getting thrown out.

As for the sub being too close ... no matter where the TV is, it will vibrate with the SVS on ... along with your walls, your doors, your :)

When I had a RPTV, I had my subs (SVS & DIY) about 2 feet away and I never had any problems.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't realize the SVS was unshielded. That would be pretty bad to have it only 3" away from the rear of my TV i'm guessing, no? 3" is quite a bit different than the 2 ft in your case.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My PB2+ is right next to my RPHDTV. The guns are pretty solidly mounted and the TV ISF calibration tech told me the vibes won't be an issue.

I used to think RPHDTV's were relatively immune to mag interference, but he proved me wrong. We moved the TV around a bit and it immediately altered the convergence. Ditto when we moved the PB2+. Those are big heavy mags on the drivers and they definitely have an effect on the TV, as they are probably only about 18" from the nearest gun.

This is no big deal if you get everything set where you want it and then hit the auto convergence button on the TV. It sets the convergence with the mag effect of the SVS already in the loop and the picture comes back perfectly. You just have to reconverge every time you move the TV or the sub, that's all.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
This is no big deal if you get everything set where you want it and then hit the auto convergence button on the TV. It sets the convergence with the mag effect of the SVS already in the loop and the picture comes back perfectly. You just have to reconverge every time you move the TV or the sub, that's all.
My sony LCD RPTV doens't have an "auto convergence" button that I know of.

There seems to be be conflicting opinions here of whether a magnetic field will affect my type of TV or not..anyone else know for fact one way or the other? I don't want to have to learn an expensive lesson here by ordering the SVS (or whatever I decide on) just to have to return it. Sure i'll get my money back, but I eat the shipping.

Lito

Agent
the grand wega doesn't have any crt's that will be affected
by the unshielded svs. i'd be more worried about circuit
boards and traces fatiguing due to the bass excitation.

that said, my klw-7000 (grand daddy of the gwII) has lived
in close proximity to my svs for several years now.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Lito: How close is your sub to your TV?

I emailed SVS about this and here's what they had to say:

SVS said:
"I am not familiar with that unit but I would think that an new rear projection unit like that wouldn’t have any problems with bass vibrations. I would say that there is no chance at all of having a problem but it is a 3 chip LCD and I don’t know how they align them. If each has their own bulb and they align them like the old CRTs you might have the calibration on them slip over time with a lot of bass energy; but if they all use the same bulb and are mounted one in front of the other then they shouldn’t be able to get misaligned no matter how much bass you play.

Keep in mind though that calibration slipping from bass is not normally a big problem. I had a CRT RPTV for a long time with the sub directly next to it with bass going hard all the time and in 4 years I never once had to get it recalibrated (ISF calibration when I first got it). "
So question is whether or not each chip has it's own bulb or is there a single bulb? From what I recall from the reading I've done, there is only a single 100watt bulb. Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks