Can I plug my powerred sub into the outlet in my receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Feb 5, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Basically what the question says. The guide specifies not to plug your television into it, but nothing about any other peice of equipment. I find that I'm leaving my sub powerred on after use, and I'd like it to turn off automatically with my receiver.

Thoughts?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

I would avoid doing it if at all possible. I think any amplifier or powered subwoofer would draw too much current through this connection. But then again, I never use these "piggyback" AC connections for any device in the first place, so maybe I am the wrong person to answer this question.

Michael

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I don't know if it's typical, but my TV (32" Toshiba) draws about 150 watts according to the manual. I suspect your subwoofer draws that much (or more.)

Those outlets are generally intended for things like tape decks or CD players, not amplifiers.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I had a feeling that would be the case. I'll just have to learn to remember to turn it off.

5. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely do NOT use it. Every receiver I've owned has been very clear in the user's manual. Those outlets are for accessories and source components only. They are not rated to power demanding devices like amplifiers and I don't think you want to experiment with it, unless you're a pyromaniac. [​IMG]

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Depending on the subwoofer you have, even when "powered on", it will go into a standby, low-power mode after a period of inactivity. Most people just leave these types of subwoofers powered on.

If your receiver has 12V trigger outputs available, you could trigger a power strip (like a Panamax) that could power on and off anything connected to it. Some people have opted for this solution.

Michael

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

No