What's new

Can I play R2 DVD now on my New TV (1 Viewer)

Mikey_B

Grip
I just bought a Hitatchi 51s500 TV and a new PS Phillips DVd player. The DVD player had a remote code to set the region to 0.

Will my setup allow me to play the PAL DVD's from R2? I want to get Superman II because it has dd 5.1

Thanks in advance!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Almost for sure, no. However if that Phillips DVD player has an internal PAL to NTSC conversion provision, then yes, or if the Hitatchi will display PAL (very unlikely), then also yes.

There are DVD players that do the conversion. I am unfamiliar with that particular model, but if the manual does not specifically state that it does the conversion, there is almost no chance that it does.

Most PAL TVs will display NTSC, but almost no NTSC TVs will display PAL (and again that will be a feature that the manual will cite).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Just about the only displays distributed to the U.S. that can do PAL (that I know of) are those imported by Sampo. And that was on the first units the company shipped here a couple of years ago.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
both the Cyberhome 500 and the Malat (not sure which one) will do all region (a common thing actually), and most importantly, those 2 (the CH500 does for sure) both do proper anamorphic conversion from PAL to NTSC (im guessing that Superman DVD is probably anamorphic)...good luck finding them though :frowning:...my CH500 is invaluable to me for foreign DVD's (only way to see Ichi the Killer uncut/anamorphic at this point...worth it for that alone hehe) ;)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
oops, I mean Malata (that one has X-Y scaling too, which I would LOVE to have..

both the Cyberhome 500 and the Malat (not sure which one) will do all region (a common thing actually), and most importantly, those 2 (the CH500 does for sure) both do proper anamorphic conversion from PAL to NTSC (im guessing that Superman DVD is probably anamorphic)...good luck finding them though :frowning:...my CH500 is invaluable to me for foreign DVD's (only way to see Ichi the Killer uncut/anamorphic at this point...worth it for that alone hehe) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks