What's new

Can I place my subwoofer under a platform? (1 Viewer)

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
I am designing my HT and I plan to have a platform/stage that comes into the room 4'-6' from the front of my screen. Would it be possible to place my subwoofer under the stage floor if I place several openings in the front of the stage that are covered in speaker cloth? How much performance degredation will I see? Since I am still in the planning stages I cannot test it to see if it would work and I need to run my speaker cables and power lines before I actually build the stage. In case it matters I have a Klipsch RSW-15 that I plan to use under the stage with a second RSW-12 in the back of the room. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bud

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the sub works in that location without a stage, then it should work just as well under the stage as long as the openings are large enough.

Since you are in the building mood, a lot of people have built a stage that was actually a sub enclosure. At least you aren't wasting the space and a couple of large drivers can easily outperform your Klipsch subs.

-Robert

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I could find information on making my stage a sub enclosure with the drivers built into it? Do you have any idea how much $ it would cost to go this route?

Thanks,
Bud

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's DIY section here just for these types of projects. Costs will vary by the equipment you choose. You could go as inexpensive as $400 (two 12" subs and an amp) to $4,000 (four 18" subs and four amps). It all depends on what type of bass you are trying to achieve. If you want to accurately reproduce the bass from War of the Worlds at reference levels, then you are looking at some decent money.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks