Can I Painting Speakers for W.A.F.?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 28, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Well, I have some big black speakers from my Onkyo HTiB on my wall. My wife was tolerant of them until her mom came to visit. Now I am getting grief. Since the speaker boxes are real wood, I was wondering if it was possible to paint the boxes?
    Has anybody tried that?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks.

uhhh sorry about the engrish....shesh maybe I need to go to bed.
    For a definition of engrish go to www.engrish.com

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

You can paint them. You can paint just about anything. [​IMG]

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Don't paint the grille though.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The boxes sound like they're made out of particle board and I suspect, covered with a vinyl veneer.

If this is the case, then you'll need to ensure you properly prepare the surface before applying the paint.

I would suggest:

1) Use a bit of sandpaper on the veneer to allow the primer to grab to the surface.

2) Use some "123" Bullseye primer from Zinnser. This comes in latex-based formulas. You can actually apply your top-coat of paint within an hour or so of applying the primer. You can buy this stuff at Home Depot, Lowes or just about any home center.

Best of luck. [​IMG]

5. DanielKellmii

Thanks Wayne, that is good info. "Real Wood" should have been in quotes. I have some Zinnser Primer in my garage from some other projects. The sandpaper is an excellent suggestion. I was just going to paint until it stuck.
    I don't like to paint, obviously.

6. Wayne Ernst

Daniel,

Also, another idea came to mind when it comes to painting. Since you'd like a good finish to be applied to the speakers, ensure you do the following:

1) Buy a good (and I mean good) brush. A 2.5" Purdy "Dale" sash brush runs about $12.00 at Home Depot. But, this is about the best brush you can buy at a home store. It has the right combination of bristle types to lay down the paint quite well.

2) Use Floetrol (paint conditioner) which you add to latex paints. This will also aid you in putting down a good-quality finish on your speaker cabinets. Floetrol runs about $4.00 a quart at Home Depot or Lowes - but, is well worth it when you want a smooth finish.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what else did your mother in law not like?

8. Wayne Ernst

Probably, his goatee and the fact that he left the toilet seat up along with his socks on the floor by the couch and finally, the fact that his receiver is crossed-over at 90Hz instead of 80Hz. Typical mother-in-law stuff. [​IMG]

9. DanielKellmii

Goatee.... she put up with my elbow length hair when I met her daughter, so if I could grow a goatee that wouldn't be a problem. But I did play the attack scenes from Pearl Harbor for my father in-law. When the planes flew overhead, he really liked it, when the couch shook, it was [​IMG] .

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I once had this intermittent annoying squeak in the back of the car. Couldn't figure it out. Brought it to the dealer and after a few questions he figured it out. The mother in law was sitting in the back seat.