What's new

Can i or Can't I? (1 Viewer)

Fernalfer

Agent
Real Name
Brian
I have a Panasonic HTIB. I just received my Yamaha Rx-V1700 Receiver but i'm still awaiting my Speakers. In the meantime is it ok to hook up the HTIB speakers to my receiver to play around with a bit or will not work?

Also the sub on the HTIB is not powered. Is there any way of hooking that to the Yamaha receiver as well?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Unless the speakers have proprietary connections you should be able to hook them up. There's no real reason not to. As for the sub, there's no way I know off to assign an unused channel on the 1700 to drive an unpowered sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does the sub have speaker level inputs? If it does, just set your main speakers to large, sub = none, and connect it to the main speaker terminals along with the mains.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
By doing this you'll not only be sending a full-range signal to the sub, you'll also be sending it to the sattelite speakers... not a good idea...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hook the speakers to the sub. The sub will have a crossover to take care of itself if it has speaker level inputs, and it will also have a high pass to the satellites if it has speaker level outputs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My best understanding is it's an HTIB sub that is powered by the receiver... this means no crossover (like the kind of passive or powered subs you're thinking of), simply a direct connection to an amp channel on the HTIB receiver that is dedicated to sub output.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

This is what I was thinking. Sub out on the new receiver to the sub in on the old HTIB. Hook the sub up to the old unit just as before.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If there's a sub in that would work. If not you could even try going sub-out to and 2ch analog in on the old htib receiver... since it's low frequency the old HTIB receiver should route the signal to the sub correctly.

Fernalfer

Agent
Real Name
Brian
As for the sub can't i keep the Sub hooked up to my HTIB receiver play a DVD from the HTIB receiver and hook up the rest by 5.1 analog out to the Yamaha receiver so that the fronts, center, and rears go thru the Yamaha but the sub stays powered by the HTIB.

Not sure if the HTIB even has 5.1 analog outs. Damn it

*Also does it matter that my HTIB center and rear speakers are 4ohm?

the fronts are 8ohm.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, you would want it the other way - sub running off the HTiB only, everything else connected to the Yamaha. Just buy a new sub and forget the HTiB one...

Fernalfer

Agent
Real Name
Brian
I have a sub on pre-order. I'll have it in march so in the meantime i wanted to use something for Bass. I hooked up all the speakers to the receiver except the sub which is connected to the HTIB. It all works but the sub doesn't seem like it works normal. It has some bass but alot of other sounds come out of it now.

How do i get it to just produce the lows its supposed to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks