What's new

Can I mount a hard drive in its side? (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I have taken an old home theater receiver that did not work and I am trying to use it as a case for my HTPC. I am trying to put a full size ATX motherboard (Asus A7N8X-DELUX), 1 hard drive, 350W power supply, and 2 DVD units into this case.(16”W X 5”H X 12.5”D) Things are getting pretty tight in there.
My question is: Will it hurt anything if I mount the hard drive on its side? I think I can make it all fit if I do this.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
should not cause a problem....

Heat build up may be a problem so make sure you allow some room for ventalation. a fan or two would be good :D

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Side mounting should not be a problem. We have all kinds of desktop PC's sitting on their side, and towers lying down (people will do the dardnest thing to make room on or under their desk).

I've not heard any of the desktop support people mention HD's going bad because of this.

Cheers,
Chris

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There are old rules for this. If the drive is formatted sideways, it must stay in that position, as it is possible, but unlikely, for the head to shift if it is turned to its previous horizonal state, thus causing errors. I'd like to see a picture of this when you get done, though!

Glenn

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow thats a great idea, to put a PC into an old reciever enclosure!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There are old rules for this. If the drive is formatted sideways, it must stay in that position, as it is possible, but unlikely, for the head to shift if it is turned to its previous horizonal state, thus causing errors. I'd like to see a picture of this when you get done, though!
The old rules are just that, old, and don't apply to modern drives. I don't recall seeing any mention of mounting orientation whatsoever in the installation guides for recent hard disks, but I do recall guides from the big full height and half height 5 1/4" models of 10 years ago saying to not install them upside down or standing on end, and sometimes favoring one side over another. The difference is in the head actuators of old being weaker, less precise, and required to move the older heavier head designs, to the point that simple gravity could be a problem for them.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
What model receiver were you using as the case? I don't imagine the receiver case has ATX backpanels, so are you drilling out new holes? Since you picked that motherboard, are you using the built in video and sound?

I want to see some pictures as well.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My current setup had no space for a second hard drive so I used velcro and side mounted it to the frame. I have had this for about 2 years with no problems.

KyleS

Screenwriter
As everyone has been saying above mounting a hard drive sideways will not cause anymore problems then mounting it horizontally. Just make sure that you leave enough room for ventilation. Most drive cages have spots on the underside to mount hard drives vertically (like you want to do) but you will simply be mounting to only one side of the hard drive.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks