Can i "mod" 16ga wire??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I have some 16ga speaker wire - i am already using it, but want to hear the difference 12ga would make.
    What, in essence, i want to know is, if i soldered the two connectors of the one wire together so one cable behaves as +ve and one as -ve, would it make any difference? What gauge would this make?
    If this isn't clear i'll be happy to explain what i want to do... [​IMG]

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I was told that two 16 gauge conductors are heavier than one 14 gauge and lighter than one 12 gauge. (Using twice as much cord, bared ends of both conductors in a 16 gauge cord twisted together at both ends of the cord for the positive line to a speaker and a second length of 16 gauge cord similarly treated for the negative line to the same speaker.)
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

1)provided your original connections were satisfactory, no.

2)approximately 13 gauge

3)what criteria will you use to determine if there was an audible difference?

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

a double run of cable will effectivly move you up 3 gauges. two runs of 16 will take you to 13, as Chu Gai has noted above, two runs of 12 would take you to 9.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

have you gone to home depot? they have some 12g stuff that is pretty cheap (.50/foot) and pretty well regarded. i haven't used it myself, but everyone seems to like it just fine.

might be easier than doing all that work, plus it'll look neater. i'm also hesitatn anytime you have to solder wires together...just doesn't seem like you should do that if it's not absolutely necessary.

6. Mark Larson

Thing is, there isn't any Home Depot where i live, and basically, i can't be arsed. [​IMG]
    So you're saying i won't hear any difference moving up three gauges?? [​IMG]

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

for the lengths you talked about no. however if this is going to drive you nuts, i'm sure you can find a local source for 12 gauge and use your existing stuff and just snake it through no?

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

What lengths did he talk about? [​IMG]

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I should have added the qualifier 'probably' Saurav. Judging by his other posts it would seem he's probably dealing with maybe 12 foot runs or so to his speakers. Thoughtful, though of you to point it out[​IMG]

10. Mark Larson

Right now i have five feet runs. Short i know, but i'll be moving shortly, so i'll pick up the wire then. I'll most definitely "mod" the 16ga, so tell me - Is it better to twist them together or to just leave them apart?

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You know me, how could I let something like that go? [​IMG]
    How are you doing, Chu? Haven't butted heads with you in a thread for a while.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well that's cause i might be taller than you Saurav and here I thought my sending you the little PM about CD burners and jitter would have sent you posting away!!! Good to see you back [​IMG]