Can I make an SVS Boomy

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by James^Brian, Jan 13, 2004.

1. James^Brian

James^Brian Agent

I'm thinking about buying an SVS (PB2+) for my garage I'm converting to a home theater. Yes, I know, the flat response is what makes SVS a step (or two or three) above most other subs. But if I want to crank up the volume on some hip hop etc---
    a) Will I be able to tune the sub accordingly to get "boomier" on some music and flat all the other time?
    b) Is there a difference between Box or Cylinder Subs in that one is easier to adjust the tune?
    c) Would any of the equipment they sell like the equalizer help me achieve this?

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Eh - I'd imagine you would just adjust the gain control way higher than normal.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

With an equalizer, you could probably phaten the bass in the 50-150 Hz. range. Because this is not where the excusrion is happening, and because SVS woofers are hella tough, it should be fine. Something to throw out - should it work?

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I don't know if boomy is the right word, but you can make it pound by turning up the GAIN when you need to, that's what I do for the parties. One thing I'll mention is if your listening to the popular rap/club/dance stuff you might be suprised how low that stuff doesn't go. Even with my speakers set to "small" on my receiver for an 80hz crossover, there isn't a whole lot going to the sub with many songs. I jack up the output signal 12db or so and the drivers still ain't movin much. But when a song can lay it down, you'll definately know. You might try the high-pass speaker inputs and use the built in cross-over at 120hz to get the sub to do a little more duty. Simple knobs to turn for either style sub.

5. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you can accentuate or diminish any frequency you like by utilizing an equalizer in your subs signal chain. I would recommend a parametric EQ as you can be very precise as to which frequencies you want to effect and by how much.

Do a search under "BFD" ( Behringer Feedback Destroyer) and you will find a wealth of information. These units go for around $120.00 and can be VERY effective!

Glenn

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Running it w/ all 3 ports open would also increase the output and the punch a bit.