Can I make an HDMI cable longer?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I just got my OPPO DVD player and it comes with a 1.5 foot long HDMI cable. Unfortunetly, that is about 1 foot too short. Other than buying another cable, are there other options? Those cable are really expensive. Can I connect two together? Is that even an option. I have made subwoofer cables before, but HDMI is a totally different animal.
    Thanks

2. leo_peter

leo_peter Extra

not recommend to connect two hdmi cables together that make signal loss.

pls check my ebay Item number: 5787524185

we can sell digital cable in distribution price.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

leo, i believe it's against forum rules to post links to active ebay auctions....just an fyi.

daniel, you can get some semi-inexpensive hdmi cables. check acoustic research or radio-shack ... they may have something. you'll probably still pay around 50 bucks or so ...

4. christopherDA

christopherDA Auditioning

Just extend it, there is no such thing as "signal loss" on a digital signal.

5. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

christopher.. You mean the post to an e-bay auction wasn't totally correct? The comment about digital signal loss was a hint.

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

There is no such thing as signal loss with digital...but you could introduce noise.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

do a google on "hdmi coupler" ... looks like there's a lot of stuff out there.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can try splicing an HDMI cable but there are something like two dozen little wires that need to be soldered together. If you are not careful you melt the insulation and the wires short together.

You run the chance that the impedance or the bandwidth could be upset causing corruption of the digital data going through the cable. Digital data is ideally represented as square waves. Rounding off the "corners" of the waveform causes problems.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm