What's new

Can I make an HDMI cable longer? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I just got my OPPO DVD player and it comes with a 1.5 foot long HDMI cable. Unfortunetly, that is about 1 foot too short. Other than buying another cable, are there other options? Those cable are really expensive. Can I connect two together? Is that even an option. I have made subwoofer cables before, but HDMI is a totally different animal.
Thanks

leo_peter

Grip
not recommend to connect two hdmi cables together that make signal loss.

pls check my ebay Item number: 5787524185

we can sell digital cable in distribution price.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
leo, i believe it's against forum rules to post links to active ebay auctions....just an fyi.

daniel, you can get some semi-inexpensive hdmi cables. check acoustic research or radio-shack ... they may have something. you'll probably still pay around 50 bucks or so ...

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
christopher.. You mean the post to an e-bay auction wasn't totally correct? The comment about digital signal loss was a hint.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
do a google on "hdmi coupler" ... looks like there's a lot of stuff out there.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can try splicing an HDMI cable but there are something like two dozen little wires that need to be soldered together. If you are not careful you melt the insulation and the wires short together.

You run the chance that the impedance or the bandwidth could be upset causing corruption of the digital data going through the cable. Digital data is ideally represented as square waves. Rounding off the "corners" of the waveform causes problems.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks