What's new

Can I make a HTPC from AMDK6-2? or maybe a DVR (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
My co-worker will sell me his Compaq 5461, 500Mhz K6-2 w120meg of RAM for $100. It doesn't have a DVD drive, so I will have to add that, but can I use that for a dedicated DVR? Maybe even a HTPC?
Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I've got a a 3gig P4, and for some applications (WM9 and some DVR uses) it runs out of horsepower-- so you probably will be taking your chances with a 500mhz.

-vince

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
An mp3 server, but not a DVR machine. I have an AMD 1.4ghz, with 512mb ram and I can't do DVR properly. Movies play fine though.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm, so can I install a DVD player and watch movies on this. That would be nice. $100 for a DVD player and I can replace my old computer.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Do you have a capture card with built-in hardware compression, like the Hauppauge 350?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I have a 1.4ghz P IV with 512 ram using a Hauppauge 350 as a DVR and I use less then 5% of my CPU cycles. Hardware MPEG encoding does most of the heavy lifting. I am using Snapstream. If you check their minimum requirements you will see that it does not take that much to make a DVR.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
my parents have a 5460, same computer with 450mHz of processing and the thing is absolutely going haywire.
the hard drive failed a couple months ago and i'd be surprised if the computer lasts the year. it takes a substantial amount of time to load IE (even on a fresh format/install)
I've never thrown a dvd-rom into it so i can't comment on that end, i'm just warning you that the computer itself might be near it's last legs.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't pay $100 for that, he's really hoping to get half that much!

Brent

The case may be usable, along with the CD-rom, but other than that it's garbage!

Lust my opinion, could be used as a music server with win98 OK though.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't use that K6 machine for DVD playback either...you're better off spending that $100 on a real DVD player. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks