Can I listen to someones SVS? Akron, Ohio Area

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Meissner, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

Comming to this forum has really peaked my interest in a new Sub. I am fairly new to the home theater scene and have to work with a limited budget. So if i buy an SVS sub it will be the the second most expense in my theater so far. So I would really like to hear one before I buy. im looking at a 20-39pci. but i would like to hear any size or type, plus see the overall size.

thanks

Joe

2. Jeff Brink

Jeff Brink Stunt Coordinator

Hi Joe,
    I have a 25-31PCi on order and am patiently awaiting its arrival. I live in Louisville (between Canton and Alliance in case you don't know where that is). I would be happy to have you over to check it out if you haven't had the opportunity to hear one by then. I kind of went out on a limb after reading so much positive info on them and made the purchase without hearing one. Like you, I am fairly new to this whole HT thing as well and I spent a ton of time researching before buying. The other thing about SVS that completely sold me, aside from the highly touted performance, was their customer service. I cannot count the number of emails that I have sent to Tom V at SVS and he has responded to all of them in the same day, usually in the same hour. His service alone has been paramount in my decision. You just can't find many companies where one of the owners will take time to answer your questions, some of which I am sure were quite stupid, especially when you have not made any purchases to that point. Don't forget, you can try their sub for 45 days and return it if it does not suit you. (You're only out the shipping) In any case, send me an email on HTF if you want to come down at some point. Incidentally, let me know if you need any other info on other purchases as well. It sounds like I just completed the process that you are going through now. Good luck with everything![​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Joe,

I'm in Kent, I have the small tube however (25-31).

I also have a Big one (16-46) here that will be a give away door prize at an upcming meeting of the NEOhio HT Club. I might be able to even demo that for you (if we could russle up an amplifier... I'm sure I have one here somewhere, LOL).

One other note, and I'm not sure how specific I should get, but SVS and TomV are actually "local" NE Ohio. The subs are made nearby. You might be able to arrainge something with Tom, depending on his schedule.

-Vince

4. Jeff Brink

Hi Vince,

Where can I find more info on the upcoming NE Ohio HT club meeting?

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Anyone interested can email me.

I will add you to my "interested" list and will send you more info in a few days (trying to get organized with current members, and then will contact anyone interested in joining).

I will also be posting some info about the meeting on forum in the local meets section- and will provide a link in my signature.

Anyone within Driving distance of the Cleveland area is welcome to join and attend the events we have.

-Vince

6. Joe Meissner

They wouldnt happen to have a little walk in outlet store do they???????? I work in mayfeild and live in akron so if it is real close i could just stop in...... that would be cool.

Also has Svs ever thought of working out a payment plan deal? that way us guys could hide the purchase from our wives...lmao

7. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

that's funny, i live in mayfield (heights) and am looking at jobs in Akron

thanks, Vince! (you got mail)

8. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Joe,

If you're patient, just do what I did. Each payday, put aside $50. If you get paid twice a month, by Labor Day you'll have enough to buy yourself an SVS sub. If you wait longer, you can get a nicer one.

Your wife won't know what hit her.

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Joe,
    Someday we hope to have a little showroom/retail area but we're a bit busy with orders right now [​IMG]
    At the moment our insurance rules just don't allow this and you might get run over by either someone carrying a load of boxes, or the UPS truck. The fact we're hardly presentable as we are typically not in our "Sunday best" means we get more work done :b
    As for payment plans, we only have one. It's called a credit card. Can't make any suggestions on how to hide those from the Mrs. While there are plenty of "I don't care what it sounds like, I don't want to see ANY speakers" wives out there (I pitty you guys), it seems that the understated vertical orientation and muted fabric we use allow them to be much more spouse friendly than might be first apparent. If you put one in a closed corner, put a plant next to it or something, we have discovered spouses that just never even notice it.
    Leaving it in the middle of the living room while the wife/partner walks in after a long day at work is generally NOT the best way to proclaim "look honey, IT arrived". (Usual reaction of wife expecting Bose, or at least a pitcher of martinis [​IMG] )
    We've received a sub or two back from folks ignoring these rules.[​IMG] Not to worry, the b-stock trollers don't mind.
    Ron

10. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

11. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I live in Mayfield Hts. I have a 20-39PC. Matter of fact I just oredered the driver upgrade for it. If anyone wants to stop by for a listen let me know.

Rob

12. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

tempting offer, RobP (i could probably walk to your place); I too have an SAWM40 and am not completely satisfied. however, living in apartment prevents me from listening to a better sub, as i would surely be _forced_ to buy one if i heard one!

13. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Joe and Jeff,
    It's a real Ohio fest here isn't it? [​IMG]
    Joe, do you have any relatives in Damascus? I grew up near there and went to West Branch High School in Beloit many moons ago and know several Meissner's. Small world.
    BTW, for anyone from Kentucky, Louisville in Ohio is pronounced like Lewisville, not Louieville. [​IMG]

14. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Hey Joe -
    I live in Minneapolis -
    At midnight, stick your head out the window and I'll crank my 20*39. Let me know what you think...
    Any requests?
    [​IMG]

15. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Columbiana Ohio

16. Joe Meissner

hey Bill.........

my whole family is from damascus. my Dad & Mom went to west branch high. small world huh? i think my dad is 58 or 59, not sure at the moment. my uncle has a dairy farm on rt62. Did you know any of the Sanors?

robp........

I would like to hear that sub of yours. you by chance dont work for the big insurance company in mayfeild do you? thats who i work for.

17. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Joe, no I actually work for a private ambulance company based out of Warrensville, although I know the huge insurance company you work for. I worked across the street at that BP for about 6 years. Your more than welcome to swing by one day after work or on lunch to check it out. If your interested email me and we'll set something up.

Rob

18. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

ok guys, sorry to tell you, but that door prize is MINE... and dont be trying to score it from me either... LMAO!! gotta love NE Ohio. Hey Vince, dont forget to send me the email!! [​IMG]
    BTW, havent got ANY sleep since I joined this site, and my employer is wondering why my work performance is suffering!!
    -troy swope
    p.s. see yall at the meetin!

19. Joe Meissner

ROBP..........

Ill e-mail you when i get home. I cant get to my hotmail from work. but yes i want to stop by and hear that sub. thanks alot

Joe

20. Jeff Brink

Joe,

Obviously, you know where Louisville is! Hope I didn't insult you with the directions above. Sounds like you are going to get some opportunities to hear before you buy. Let us know what you think.