Can I keep Bose??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayH, Aug 28, 2002.

1. RayH

RayH Auditioning

I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the best deal for a speaker upgrade less than $500 would be. I know this is a low budget and would still only give me a system you guys would reccomned replaceing in the future. but its all i can afford. And only want a step above a sony all in one H/T package. 14 x 24 ft den
    Have a new Yammie HTR5560 on the way. Currently have rear sony in walls (6 ohm.50-20000 hz,120w, 85 db) wife pushing to keep for clean look. centerBose 8 ohm, front Bose 5 series saids 4-8 ohms (this is the sub with the double cubes attached)
    Thinking about the sony Wm40 sub and JBL for front and center, or couple hundred more a Polk 5 speakers system and not use the rears and keep my in walls or try and stick/rig polk rears behind grill in the sony inwalls
    Thansk for any and all suggestions

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Are you asking for all of 5.1 for 500? That might be hard, but here goes. I'd look at the Paradigm Atoms, 189/pr for the front, a Paradigm Center (not sure; 150?), and keep your inwalls for the surround for the time being. The Sony WM-40 would be good to start with. This would be in the 500-600 dollar range, and sound radically better. Also, there are many speakers to look at in this range. Polks, the HTF-2's, some B&W's, and there's lots more. (Chime in, everyone!) The used market might be the way to go at this budget, and would possibly get you much greater sound for your money.

3. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

One suggestion I'm expecting you'll hear a lot is for the JBl NSP1 package. It come with 4 N24s for the front and surround and the N-center. Also, the N24scan be found in white which could help the WAF, but I'm not sure if you could get the white in the package itself. Anyway, they can be had for $250 at J&R and they ship it free. For the sub I would either recommend the JBL PB10 or the Sony that gets a lot of mention here, although I've never heard it myself.