Can I just use standard RG6 for component cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Sep 22, 2002.

  1. Jason Price

    Jason Price Second Unit

    Sep 16, 1998
    Likes Received:
    I need to run 3 component cables (9 wires total) about 45'. Buying them pre-made, or going the Canare route is still quite cost-prohibitive. Can I just use standard quad-shield RG6 for these runs?

    If so, what are my best affordable connector options?
  2. Brian Schucher

    Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

    Nov 22, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Sure can and you can use F connectors with RCA adapters if ya like.
  3. JayDaniel

    JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

    Jun 11, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I just saw this exact question asked and answered at Home Theater Magazine (
    Note the advice on the connectors. That sounds like the critical part of this DIY project. The question/reply are below.
    Cable help, Cable Confusion
    From Tony B., September 2002
    Both Coax and component cables are 75 Ohm, could I use one for the other? I was pricing 25 ft. coax cables, and I see ranges from $6.99 to $19.99. Some say RG6, RG8, RG6QS and some say nothing. If I plan to use coax cable for my component connections, since my length is 25 feet, does it have to be RG6, or will any Coax Cable 75 Ohm look as good? Also, will this look as good as store bought Component Cables?
    Thanks for the help. I love the magazine.
    Home Theater Responses:
    High resolution signals require thicker cables. Interlaced DVD signals can probably go 50 feet, maybe 100 over RG-59 without serious loss. RG-6 would be better. RG-11 would be overkill. The QS designation means Quad-shielded, which is important for RF signals, less so for baseband video. Make sure the three cables (for Y, Pr and Pb) are the same length. The connectors are the real issue. If the cable has F-connectors (screw on hex nuts with the wire as the center pin) and you connect RCA to F adapters, the impedance of the connector will be dicey. You might see ghosting in the image, assuming the display doesn't already have some ghosting of its own. If so, you may have to solder on your own RCA connector, or better yet, your own 75 Ohm BNC connector (assuming your gear uses 75 Ohm BNC I/O). Store bought cables will probably look nicer. Given the cost difference, though, it's worth trying.

Share This Page