Can I just "drop in" a subwoofer amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

At first I will be using a minisystem to power my ported Tempest I hope to build soon. Once I decide on a plate amp, can I just cut a hole and secure the amp? Is there anything else I need to consider?

I am also looking for recommendations for a cheap(but good) amp for my Tempest. I'd imagine that 200 watts into 4ohms is plenty of power. It would be even if someone could recommend a Canadian dealer if possible.

2. Justin,
    don't be supprised if the tempest sounds like crap when powered by the minisystem (probably has EQ, a really high rumble filter, high distortion at decent levels etc)....but you will be very happy with a plate [​IMG]
    All you will need to do is cut a hole and use weatherstriping (if it isn't already on the amp) to seal it up.
    http://www.creativesound.ca/ has a few plate amps

3. Justin Ward

What do you think of the AVA 250 from Creativesound? How about the #300-794 sub amp from PE? Even with the exchange and shipping I think the PE amp is cheaper. Is there any reason to go with the more expensive AVA250?

4. Can't think of one. I would go with whatever is cheaper after shipping AND duities.

5. Justin Ward

I just did a rough guess for the price of the PE amp.
    base price + $30 shipping(just a guess) x 1.55(exchange rate) x 1.15(worst case scenario for duty) = $267

Even with all apparent costs covered, the PE amp is cheaper than the AVA250 before even considering tax and shipping on the AVA250. I e-mailed PE for a quote on the shipping so I can be sure. Also, how much duty can I expect to pay?

6. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Justin.
    If you can wait.And I am not sure of when.
    But CSS has been looking at some sweet amps.
    http://www.bassexciter.de/index.htm
    I am not sure of when they will arrive but I will say that they will punch the holes out of the 794 that is for sure.
    And now the sweetness of these amps.
    Toggle that ajust the boost with out soldering.

7. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

8. Justin Ward

You live in Surrey BC? I just did some questions on a newstory that occured there in the recent past in my law class. Sadly they were of a hate nature( that man who was beaten to death by white supremicists, sad story).... but thats another topic.
    So if CSS gets these amps I could see them at creativesound.ca in the future?

9. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Surrey well you can change the s to a C and you have the major population in Surrey.
    And yes that is a big topic at the schools aslo.

And you never know what the CSS man is up to.
    Those little ELF kits are killer.
    And finished sets are also available.

Al

10. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

Justin,

I have ordered electronics from the US in the past. You should budget $50 Cdn for duties, a little more than what you calculated. Also, you will pay PST & GST on the product from the US, but only GST on the order from BC.

I presume you know how to add a subsonic filter to the PE amp? You will need one with a ported Tempest.

11. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

Allan,
    Are you refering to the home plate amps that they are packaging with the bassexciter subs. The DT110 mkII and the DT300 are actually from RCM Akustik (the DT110 use to power the SVS subs). Lets hope they can start selling the DT300 in Canada/US. Here's a link to the DT300 plate amp.
    http://www.rcmakustik.com/eng/pdf/DT300-EWeb.pdf
    Dan, from Adire has the DT300 in house and is comparing it to the BASH, Hypex and AVA250/PE amps. Here is the link to the ongoing discussion.
    http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...t=8604&start=0

12. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Well you are 100% correct.
    I am doing some work with Bob at CSS and I know more about these amps.
    Let me say Bob sells stuff for Dan and the Amps are a new item that you might just see.

I am hoping to do a little work with one.As Bob ordered a few of each the 150-300.
    They look to be very very good AMPs on paper.
    Time will tell.

Al

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am about ready to do work on another sub project (a box this time as I want a built in amp). What amp would be the best, one that is around 300-450W?

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Well a simple equation states that a 500w amplifier will increase the SPL over a 250w amp by 3 decibels. I'd say have to say it's up to the buyer whether the 3db is worth the cost difference. (The difference in peak power could be different though)
    The difference between a 250w amp and 300w amp is likely inaudible so I would look at the features and price to decide which one to buy.
    In my car I have a 200W amp powering a tempest, and have recently upgraded to a 600w RMS amp.
    Suprisingly enough, the 200w amp provided plenty of bass for me. The 600w amp however, provides plenty of bass for the people outside as well. [​IMG]

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

16. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

Allan,

If you get to work with the DT300, post your findings here. I am thinking of getting a Hypex amp, but maybe the DT300 will fit the bill.

17. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Time will tell.
    I wil get more info and post it here.
    But like I said time frame I am not sure on.

18. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Just talked to Bob at CSS today.
    The 300 Amp will be priced less than $300.00 USD.
    The price will be set after shipping is found out after the shipment arrives.
    But that is the range he thinks they will be sold for.

For that money there is no AMP out on the market at this time for the money and the adjustable boost with toggles switches no soldering needed.
    And the construction over the others is 200% higher quality.

look for yourself.

Good luck.

Al

19. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

Allan,

Do you know if the DT300 has some type of subsonic filter similar to the Hypex and the AVA250 amps. Or will this be added by Bob/Dan before it is sold to the consumer.

Thanks
    Steve

20. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Technical data: - 300 Watts of sine/600 Watts of music at 4 ohms - min. connection impedance: 4 ohms - transmission range: 20 cycles per second - 150 cycles per second - var. Low-pass filter: 50-150 cycles per second with 18 railways slope (Linkwitz Riley low-pass) - stepless phase automatic controller: 0-180 degrees - adjustable base compensation: +3/+6 railways for 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 cycles per second - or flat frequency response with lower, adjustable separation frequency (Subsonicfilter
    I used ALTA Vista to translate the only info on the site.
    But i will get more info from Bob.

Al