What's new

Can I install Microsoft XP disc that came w/ my laptop onto my desktop? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
...or do I have to buy a completely new XP disc for my desktop? Also, if it works, will this erase all of my saved data and programs? I'd rather not have to pony up more money for another operating system. Thanks.

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
No, MS licensing requires you to buy a new XP license/CD.

Since you have to ask, then YES you will lose your saved data/programs. This is the safe assumption to take, so backup before doing anything.

K

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The software is the same, you can install the some windows on a desktop as a laptop. To be legal, you can only use one key per computer and to enforce this microsoft will associate the key to the computer with an activation code.

If you are getting rid of your laptop you can intall windows on your desktop and call up and tell microsoft you have upgraded computers and they will redo the activation code for you.

When you install windows, you will not lose your programs and saved files, most programs will probably not work since there is nothing about them in the registry. But all your saved files will remain as long as you don't format your harddrive. Windoms will delete the c:windows directory and recreate it and that's it.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Generally this is true, but not always. I have the Windows 2000 disc that came with my Dell laptop. If I put it in any other computer (or at least all the ones I've tried) it says "This CD may only be used in the Dell laptop it came with" or something like that. I'm sure there's a hack for this somewhere, but: A) I don't care, B) that shouldn't be discussed on this forum if there is one.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Some computers come with an "image" disk (sometimes this is even on the ard disk as drive D:), some computers come with the comercial OS. The OS option is becoming less common except from specialty vendors. But if you have one of those, you can use it on any PC architecture (laptop, desktop, or server).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
You should also check on the "restore" disks that you recieve with camputers for the windows files. Most have the entire unchanged windows setup files on the disc, but run a frontend on them to make sure that the program is only installed on the computer that it was purchased with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks