What's new

Can I install a 4x/8x AGP card in an older 2x/4x m/b such as an Asus P3V4X vers.1006? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Or do I have to stick with a 2x/4x format? I’m looking for an inexpensive video upgrade for my Mom’s PC. I will be upgrading the RAM to 512. I’m also considering buying a used (FleaBay server pull) P3 933 CPU. I’ve already tried o/c- ing this CPU to 933, but it’s not stable even with the voltage turned up. The PC is used by my younger brother and Mom for light gaming and surfing. Here’s the specs. Any feedback?

PIII 700
Asus P3V4X bios v.1006
256 ram
Asus AGP V7700 GeForce 2 GTS 32mb
Maxtor 40Gb HD
Win98SE

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Oops, I got an error message that the site was unavailble so I sent the thread again.

Moderator: Please kill the other thread.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
A 4x/8x capable video card should work in a 4x capable motherboard. It will, of course, only run at 4x.

What video card are you thinking of using?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
any card that can run 4x/8x generally will run at 2x/4x as well I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Just make sure the AGP slot on your motherboard supports the voltages required by the card. The AGP connectors are physically different between some old and new AGP video cards, and a new card may not fit into the AGP connector on your motherboard.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Marko: Good point! Does anyone know the AGP voltage required for the FX5500 boards and will I need more than a 300watt p/s? I couldn't find it at the Chaintech website and the manual is not downloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks