Can I Improve Z2 Image?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisFR, May 25, 2004.

1. ChrisFR

ChrisFR Extra

I was wondering which (if any) of the following upgrades would improve the image quality fcoming rom my Z2 Projector... it's very good but would like to know just how good it could be...

1. Better component cables as I am currently using a basic (cheap) component cable

2. A better DVD player - possibly with a DVI output. I am currently using a Panasonic DV563 player and component cables

3. A line doubler

I also have a Yamaha RXV 1400 Receiver and an Xbox and nan SA 8100 PVR with regular cable.

Thanks to all for any thoughts and recommendations.

2. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I use only Componet and DVI when interfacing with my Z2. I wouldn't recommend buying Moster Cables, but I do use a good quality cable...can't remember their name. Brought them from Best Buy. I would never recommend using anything less than Componet though.

You do not need a Line doubler.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Get one of the new Zenith DVD players ($200) with the 1080i output via component and DVI ... the image is better than from your pioneer DVD player.

An external line doubler is a waste of money given what you will be feeding it.

Most component cables upwards of $20-$80 should be fine. Not much difference even between $20 to $80 ... but marginally better than the $0.50 variety in the box.

Regards

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Zenith dvd player in particular is the DVB318. There are actie threads in the Audio/Video Sources on it. Basically it will upconvert to either 720p or 1080i via either dvi or component.

5. DuWayne

He doesn't want to feed it 1080i. The Z2 is 720p native. I'm not sure about the Zenith player but I use the Samsung 910HD wich allows you to chose the output.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    In that case, do not use the Zenith DVB318 to upconvert to 720p for this projector. Reviews show the 720p upconversion to be very poor. 1080i upconversion is very clean for the Zenith dvd player so if you go with this, use the 1080i upconversion.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Another good DVD to look at is the Bravo D2 at Vinc.

From Vinc.com on the Bravo D2.

Not bad for only $249 dollars.

Parker

8. DuWayne

I've seen terrible reviews for the Bravo...and for $50 more you can get the 910, but I you won't get the MPEG-4 playback. If that is what you really want.

9. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

There are several interesting 'upconverting' DVD players coming out -- the Panny S97 (w/DCDi), Samsung HD841 & HD941 (the latter w/DCDi), and the Bravo D2 & D3.

The Bravo D1 is a quirky player, but it's PQ via DVI is fabulous. Deinterlacing is sub-par. I'm hoping these new players will be better.