What's new

Can I improve sound for only $500? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
New problem.

While in New York City, my wife waited in the van while I listened to the JBL E30's for the first time. They didn't have the E35 center channel, so I only listened to the E30's and the E10's (possible surrounds). Here's the problem: My wife is very much against mounting any speakers on the wall. She let it go in our bedroom, but is completely against it in the living room. Big problem because the spot where my front left and right (the old Bose's) are is just inches from the ceiling. Buying new speakers and leaving them way up high would pretty much defeat the purpose, I'd say.

I might be able to to convince her if the speakers were really small, but the E30's are pretty large for bookshelfs. And so are the Infinity 150's or 160's. The Athena's are a bit smaller, but their modern design wouldn't fit our room much.

Anybody know of any smaller speakers that are worthwhile?

Plan B (if my wife stands firm and I can't find smaller, quality speakers):
•Buy a sub
•Maybe buy a center channel, since there's an easy space for it and I don't have one. Would it make sense to buy the JBL E35 center channel and just put up with it working with the old Bose fronts? I know it's not as good as having matching speakers. Please be honest, because there's no use spending the money if it's not going to work well.

Sorry for the wrench in the machine. My wife's terrific, but the thought of a "bigish" speaker hanging on the wall is not making her happy.....

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Man, your WAF factor is kinda high eh? I think someone asked this before...but, Is a nice set of stands COMPLETELY out of the question? I mean the right stands can really look nice and compliment the system.
And, she's ok with the bose high up on the wall now??
I'm just lucky I guess... my wife is fine with what I want to put in to enhance the system, (uh, as long as the funds aren't too outrageous...);)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not familiar with the term WAF, but I can guess. Like I posted, I've got a great, great wife. It's just that she feels the wall would be junked up with speakers on them. Stands are a solid idea and I've thought about it, but I've got a 3 year-old boy and I can just see the speakers taking a tumble from time to time via a ball or sword, or fist, etc.

The Bose look bad right now on top of a tall bookshelf and a tall toy cabinet, that's for sure. I think things would look better with smaller speakers in the new positions. Hopefully, with time, she may feel the same way.

In the meantime:
1) I assume that a subwoofer would still help a bit.
2) Is it worth buying the JBL center to go with the Bose? I know that's not a perfect plan, but I've got the money and I'd like to have most of the sound (Xbox, tv, etc.) come from a center instead of the two Bose near the ceiling.

Rob

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
It means wife acceptance factor. I'm glad I only have a girl friend that I don't live with.Marriage is not for me. Have you tried the enery take speaker system. leave the subwoofer out and the system is l/c/r speaker for 250 and sat speakers for 175. They may be found at a store or order on the internet. read about them in Home Theater Mag for August 2005

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The JBL center + PE subwoofer still sounds like a good plan.

Or.........

The $299 HSU "Ventriloquist" system + the PE sub. I've heard the HSU system with my own music and for such a small, inconspicuous system IMO it sounded very good. Doing a search here will find others saying the same thing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for the rear? They look really slick and sound quite good if you get good ones, if you've already got wires going back there maybe that would be the best way to go.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your continued help fellas. Each day, with your help, I'm getting closer to the right fit for me and my house.

Right now, I think my wife might be moving towards accepting the size of the JBL e30's. They would be smaller than the old Bose and it would be nice to get the Bose off the top of the tall pieces of furniture that they are on.

I'm going to need to find an attractive pair of shelves for the fronts. Some sort of basic wooden shelf that is deep enough for me to be able to angle the e30's a bit.

Unfortunately, there's not enough room for the e10's to replace the cheap Radio Shack rears (and so certainly not enough room for me to move the Bose to the rear). I've got 9 inches between window trim and ceiling molding and the e10's are 10 inches tall. I guess that I could go with e20's and leave them sidewise or something like that. I'll have to think that over some more.

I looked into the Ventriloquist system. I hate to say it, but I think I couldn't get past the fact that they were so inexpensive. It just made me continue to feel that they weren't as good. Couple of posts from people made it sound like they were good for the money, but not as strong as my other choices (JBL, Infinity).

So, I think I'm close to ordering the sub and the E35 center. And, assuming my wife and I can come to an agreement, I'll move ahead to the fronts and/or rears.

Thanks again. And I'm still open to anyone's suggestions.

Rob

p.s. Phillip, I looked into in-wall speakers when we built our bedroom. Seems to me that to have them you would either spend more for the same quality.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you mean here. In-walls are comparable in price to equivalent sounding box speakers in my experience. But they are extremely clean looking if you can cleanly run the wires or already have.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Rob,

If it comes down to choosing between the JBL e30 and the Infinity 150s my vote goes to the Infinitys.

However if you are able to stretch your budget a little, this would give you stellar sound:

Ascend HTM-200s L/R (small enough, and front ported so you can put them inside the bookcase)

Ascend 340 center (rear ported and big and not cheap but worth every penny) or HTM-200 center

ascendacoustics.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks