Can I improve my interconnects?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

First off, I know interconnects are a very subjective thing. I've taken my fair share of flak for posting about them before.

That being said, I'm wondering about the interconnects between by Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro and Parasound amps. Currently, I'm using Analysis Plus Copper Ovals and the sound is clean, detailed and pleasing, but I'd prefer an equally smooth, detailed connection and broad soundstage with slightly more high end presence/air (a little brighter). The AP's almost seem a little rolled off at times (I know that's not the case, but at times it just sounds that way). IF it helps, all seven of my speakers are Paradigm Studio Reference.

What other intercommects might I try?

Thanks,
    -Paul

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

search audiogon for "bogdan" and email Ben for price quotes on his interconnects. I have not personally tried them yet but they are the current big thing over on Audio Asylum. Mainly because they are pure silver with bullet connectors for $100 per 3ft pair. I don't think anyone makes a pure silver interconnect with those connectors for less. Might be worth a shot.

3. Steve_K

Steve_K Auditioning

I have had no experience listening to the "Analysis Plus" interconnects, but know the desire to try different stuff. I also know all to well trading in 5 or 7 interconnects and upgrading them is an expensive process.
    Have you considered changing your Digital link from source to processor?
    You don't give details of other cables but I have experimented lately with some silver products and have heard just the characteristics your looking for.
    My current link is an XLO type 4Reference from Denon 2800
    MK11 feeding a B&K Ref 50. Last week a buddy brought over a 1m RCA Harmonic Technology Platinum Link. This stuff is brilliant with no trace of grain and just seems to open things up. Kimber D-60 is also considered to have the characteristics you strive for.
    Stereophile---- "Kimber D-60 Fast, open and detailed, mercilessly revealing"

With this strategy you can " alter/tweak " the sound ahead of the interconnects and if you considered this route, im sure it would save you some cash.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Paul:

You really should look into Bettercables. They offer a fantastic product and have a very generous return policy. If service before and after the sale are important to you as having some of the best cables you can buy give Brad a call.

Parker