What's new

Can I hook up my DVD player to my TV through my Tivo ? (1 Viewer)

I cannot figure out how to make this work. I have a TV in the bedroom where I put a HDR212 Phillips Tivo and a Toshiba DVD player.

DVD--->TIVO--->TV

The DVD player is hooked up to the Tivo via svideo and stereo analog inputs. Same with the connection from the Tivo to the TV. Cable TV routes in to the Tivo via RF input.

With that existing setup.. I cannot seem to watch DVDs. I even put the Tivo in Standby but still did not get a DVD signal..

Is this even possible?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
"...Eddie are you kidding..."
Chris Tivo only has outputs, afraid not! You must have pluged into the extra output that's intended to go to a VCR...? Buy a video switcher and route them both thru it. I'm assuming the TV only has 1 video input. Welcome to the forum tenderfoot!;) Best wishes!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Chris Tivo only has outputs, afraid not!
It has inputs too, but they're for recording on the TiVo, not for pass-through. Chris might be able to get the DVD signal to pass through the TiVo if he disconnected the cable, but that rather defeats the purpose of having a TiVo.

Rachael's right, Chris. You can't use a TiVo as a video switcher.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks