Can I hook up 2 subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanW, Nov 24, 2001.

1. AllanW

AllanW Extra

Hi,

I have the Denon 3802 and the Energy Encore Speakers system, and I was wonder if it was possible to hook up an additional sub. I am using the low level (RCA) connection to the sub. Can I split this? Or is there another way?

Thanks,

Allan

2. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Yes you can split the signal from one sub pre-out into two subs. Just make sure you use a high quality y-adapter to minimize loss of signal.

-Vince

3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Go ahead and split the RCA Sub out. I do it as do many of the people here. Not a problem.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes, split the signal.

Or... you could use the second sub for your mains, by running the speaker outs to the subs high pass input, and set your mains to "LARGE".

But if you want a second sub for LFE, then use the splitter.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Also be sure to re-calibrate the system after you add a second subwoofer. Try to set the individual gain(volume pot on the sub)controls so that whenever you unplug one unit..you lose the same amount of volume as when you unplug the other unit. I'd also put the second near the first...assuming the first is optimally located of course.

TV

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

A somewhat better option IMO is to purchase a sub control unit such as paradign X-30. This will have two sub outs and offer more control of them. It alsogives you more flixibility as to crossover etc.. Cheap and very good.

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

So can you guys rate the best way in order? Is this right?

1) sub control unit

2) One to mains, one to output

3) splitter

8. Sean Conklin

I like option 1, as long as there is LFE bypass or will send a proper LFE to at least 1 sub.

Then I like option 3, the splitter. Super LFE performance with multiple subs without any extra strain on the receiver.

Option 2 last, I dont like to run my speaker outs to the sub and then to the mains, a lot of people do it, but I prefer the mains to be set to small and run unburdened by passing through the subs crossover, plus going this route puts a little more strain on your receivers amp.

9. Howard_S

Can anyone explain LFE a bit more?

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

LFE is a specific channel. The *1* in 5.1 DVDs for example.

low frequency effects.

bandwidth of 3-120hz I think.

This channel is usually best reproduced by a quality seperate subwoofer in a HT.

TV

11. Sean Conklin

LFE (Low Frequency Effects)

DD or dts 5.1 includes 6 discreet channels of audio, the .1 is a dedicated channel containing only discreet Low frequecy information reserved solely for a subwoofer or other capable low frequency reproduction devices.

LFE is bass information below 150 Hz.

*EDIT* Tom beat me to it, he may right about the LFE being 120 hz and lower.

12. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Just don't confuse LFE as something which carries all the low bass. The main 5 channels can all carry low bass information. The LFE channel is an optional channel used only to carry low bass effects. It is important to reproduce the low bass content of the main channels as well.

13. Howard_S

So if I do want to get another sub to complement my other one. Is it best to have the two subs share work or is it best to have one do the LFE. Is it best to have two identical sub or can you have two that are different?

Thanks for the LFE explanation. I noticed that the LFE icon on my receiver blinks from time to time and so I was wondering what it was.

14. John H

John H Second Unit

15. Sean Conklin

I think it would be best for you to experiment with dual LFE (splitter).

In most cases it is best to either stack or put both subs as close together as possible to avoid bass wave cancellation.

But with some experimenting you might find 1 sounds good up front and 1 in the back. It just depends on your room.

Maybe Tom or Guy will chime in here and give the lowdown on room modes and it's effect on subwoofer placement.

And maybe you can post your room dimensions and explain your room layout, i.e. openings, doorways, carpet, etc.

16. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I'd do option 3, for the least complications..

What you could do though, is make your subs passive and hook them up to a stereo amp and go from the outputs of your amp to your LFE.

This would be good for say, if you wanted more power..

I have a 300X2 PA amp and would rather have a 2 300 watt subs then 2, 120 watt subs.