can i hear dts using my dvd players 5.1 channel outputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i have:
    receiver: onkyo tx-sv646
    dvd: sony dvd-s560d
    the sony has 5.1 outputs, which i've connected to the 5.1 inputs on my receiver. normally, i select dts for the movie i'm watching and all is well. i hear sound from all channels. but i never see the dts logo light up on the dvd player.
    a couple of nights ago i was watching 'shadow of the vampire' (good flick) and when i selected the dts option, the dvd attempted to play a short "demo" dts promo clip. i heard no sound. this is the only time i've selected dts and not heard sound.
    so what's up?
    i double-checked my manual (what a concept) and i think my dvd player may only be able to output a dts signal via the coax or optical outputs - not from the 5.1 outputs...but i'm not sure.
    does anyone have any ideas? am i hearing dts or only dd or what?
    thanks!
    ps - my player does have the dts logo on it and i can also see it on the led display panel (though it never lights up)
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

AFAIK, your DVD player does not output DTS through the 5.1 output.

3. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

im no pro but heres a shot:
    using your DVD player's digital output, the DVD player sends the 5.1 channel bitstream to the reciever. the reciever decodes this signal, converts it to analog, amplifies each channel independantly and sends it to yoru speakers. in this mode the reciever can recognize this DTS signal and will display the icon.
    using your DVD player's 5.1 channel outputs, the reciver simply takes each seperate input, amplifies each, and sends each to teh appopriate speaker. the reciever doesnt know what its recieving or sending, it just amplifies. you could hook a CD player to 2 of them, your computer to two others, and somethine else to teh sub channel, and each would just get amplified and sent to the corresponding speaker, the reciever never the wiser.
    ------------------

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    What I think David is saying is that your DVD player has a Dolby Digital Decoder that will decode Dolby Digital 5.1 but your DVD player does not have a DTS decoder. So you should not be getting anything out of your 5.1 outputs while playing a DTS disc. Perhaps it is putting out the DD 2.0 track on the front left and right channels of the 5.1 output?????? Don't know.
    I'm not familiar with the DVD player or your Onkyo! Is your Onkyo Prologic with 5.1 ready, And your DVD player has a Dolby Digital decoder?
    Wes

5. David Susilo

I've just checked with my friend who's a Sony dealer, she said that the 560 will NOT decode DTS internally.
    Whenever DTS is chosen, the player will do either one of the following:
    1. force the soundtrack to go back to DD 5.1
    2. if it fails, force the soundtrack to DD 2.0
    3. if it still fails, mute the 5.1 output
    Hope it helps

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks all - especially david who went out of his way to ask his dealer friend.
    it is as i suspected...i thought the player must have been "down-converting" (is that the right term?_) the signal to DD.
    oh well...like i said somewhere else...this just gives me an excuse to upgrade my receiver...yeah baby!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

7. David Susilo

not really down-converting, just force-playing (kinda) [​IMG]
    I don't think there's an actual term for it. Anybody?