Can I have my PowerPoint files enter Slide Show view when opened?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Gardiner, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

I've searched online help as well as Google and haven't found a solution to my problem. My office is using PowerPoint 2000 (except on the boss's laptop, which has PowerPoint 2003).

We want to be able to create, and distribute on CD-R, presentations that automatically enter Slide Show view when opened. Currently, any presentations we distribute go straight to "Normal" (editing) view when opened.

I know that if I select the "Slide Show" menu from the menu bar, then select "Set Up Show..." I can select the "Browsed at kiosk (full screen)" option. When I select this, the "Loop continuously until 'Esc'" option is automatically selected. This is the behavior we want. However, opening the .ppt file still brings us straight to Normal view instead of Slide Show, and we still have to hit F5 to enter Slide Show view.

I'm pretty sure I can do what I want to with a macro, but there must be an easier way. The boss says he has received .ppt files from other users, via e-mail or on the web, that behave the way we wish. How can we do this with presentations we create ourselves?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    try right clicking on a ppt file in explorer and see if "slideshow" is an option. i dont use ms office anymore, or i'd try it here. perhaps there is a way to set the slideshow to happen automatically, just as you can enable winamp to enqueue by default, rather than double click.

CJ

3. Rob Gardiner

Thanks, CJ, for the info. I'll give that a try. However, that isn't quite the solution I was looking for. We have to assume that the people we give these presentations to will simply double-click them to open, rather than right-click, so we want a way for them to open in SlideShow view without any special efforts on the part of the user.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ok, i see. this link was the first listed after a google search. it's for office 2000, but should work for any subsequent versions.

CJ

5. Rob Gardiner

That did it!

I'm usually very good at performing Google searches and reading online documentation, but somehow that eluded me.

Next time you're in Seattle, drinks are on me. [​IMG]

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    deal [​IMG] glad to help.

CJ