Can I get VGA output from PS2 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Geiger, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Michael Geiger

Is there a way to convert ps2 video into VGA for use with a computer monitor ?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup, but it's all down to how much you want to spend. There's a variety of cheap 'line doublers' by the likes of Redant - usually around $50, and the quality of the output is average to very poor depending on how picky you are. It's not good enough for me, put it that way.

For more money, the current contender is the Viewsonic VB50HRTV tuner - it allows RGB, composite & RF inputs, all of which it tunnels to any VGA monitor. Supposedly very good at upscaling to resolutions of 1024*768. There's a big thread about them on avsforum. I'm looking into buying one of these myself.

There's a number of boxes that are much more expensive than that, but I doubt they're of interest.

The DC's direct VGA output rules the roost - the output from the 'cheap' line doublers doesn't come close.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

A little bit of background; the PS2 is designed to output to a television, but if you really really want to, you can mangle the signal and send it to a VGA monitor.

The DreamCast and the X-box are designed to output to a VGA monitor, but if you really really want to, you can mangle the signal and send it to a TV.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Stefan's point is that the DC internally outputs VGA resolution - the mangling is dropping it down to a signal suitable for TVs. DC + VGA Box is very very good. PS2 + VGA Box is very very poor.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

If you are so inclined, I believe that you can do this through Linux development kit.

7. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

But PS2 linux is the only thing that would output a VGA signal. Are there actually no fooling Xbox VGA solutions out there? Ones that'll actually give you the native progressive signal? Or are those going to be line doublers too?

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The ones I've seen, Brad, are all linedoublers. If it's got Redant on the box, ignore it.

9. Leo

Leo Second Unit

This just in: Tekken 4 (which was just recently released in Japan) supports VGA using the VGA cable (must use a monitor that syncs on Green) from the Linux Kit.

Leo

10. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

The only once I have tested that is really good is at ncsx.com. It acctually does a very good job. Only thing is it is expensive. I think around 250 dollars.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That would be the X-RGB2. An incredibly powerful converter. And it's got the price tag to boot unfortunately.

12. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

so basically any vga box for ps2 will make games look WORSE than connecting directly to a telivision? reason i ask i because i have an extra 17inch monitor and would like to free up my one and only telivision since i've been hogging it playing SOCOM.

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I recently got the Viewsonic VB50HRTV for $50 on eBAY.
    It works GREAT... I am using my monitor for my television in my dorm room w/ GameCube/XBOX and I am very happy with the results [​IMG]

14. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

wow smokin' deal Rob! i should check there hehe