Can I get some info on the Toshiba 27AF42?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I've tried other forums, but I'm getting no responses. I've tried searching this forum but have found nothing.

My big questions is if this set can do the squeeze. Even if I would have to enter the service menu, that'd be fine.

Also, if it was able to and I in fact did have to enter the service menu, is there any available information or a service book that would be available to me?

Thanks for any help.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Every 4:3 Toshiba I've seen lets you do the the so-called squeeze trick. I access the service menu on my bedroom set, a three-year-old Toshiba CZ27V51. A fellow HTF member who owns this set gave me the service menu codes.

You can either ask someone else here who owns the set or get the shop manual. Wish I could tell you more.

3. Adam Bluhm

Thanks for your input once again, Jack. I'll probably get the Tosh and look into accessing the service menu at a later date.

One question, though. Why on earth would a company make a television with such a wonderful option and not allow the general public have access to it?

4. Jack Briggs

Well, the 16:9 mode is only now catching on with the general public. Most people (non-enthususiasts) are completely unaware of what a 16:9 mode can do (or what it would be for)--they're content to live with their players' downconversion algorithms without even realizing the signal is being downconverted in the first place.

(Most people who purchase FS- or FV-series Sony WEGAs are oblivious to the 16:9 mode. But as more people become aware of the advantages of such a mode in a 4:3 native set, the manufacturers will offer it as a user-menu option.)

5. Aaron$Co

Aaron$Co Auditioning

I just purchased this TV as well, the only crappy thing is I haven't even to got to watch it yet. I took it to college to my rental house and set it up, but my DVD player is still at home till I move down for the year in 2 weeks. Is there any documentation on how to get into the service menu and do the squeeze trick, I have seen a step by step instruction for how to do it on the 27A41, is it similar. Any help would be great.
    Do you recommend the AVIA disk for calibrating the set?

6. Jack Briggs

I would always recommend AVIA or Video Essentials to calibrate any home theater-worthy set--and the Tosh fits comfortably within that fold.

As for service menu access: The manufacturers don't even acknowledge such menus exist when speaking to consumers. But, of course, they do. There's a good reason for this benign deception: It is extremely easy to ruin a good display by making missteps in the service menu. Buyer beware. And your warranty would be voided.

7. Adam Bluhm

I'd tend to think it'd be the same with the 2002 model. I wouldn't mind it if you mailed me those step by step instructions. [​IMG]