1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I get some critique on my theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake T, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    Can you guys look at my HT & give me your thoughts and ideas?
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28882.htmlto show this picture - the obvious reason is the speaker placement(I had the cabinet built out of haste & before I really knew anything about HT) - but can I get some ideas on how to widen the soundstage given whats there?
    Also, does anyone know where I can get white Dynamat (or something similar) to line the speaker cabinet with. (that whole resonance thing).
    The sound I'm getting is not bad, but I'm sure it can be improved.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jake T
    P.S. is the green streek in the middle of my picture due to SVHS or a poorly calibrated TV?
    [Edited last by Jake T on August 04, 2001 at 02:32 PM]

2. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Tough call Jake!
    My personal advice would be to bring the speakers out of the wall unit,and place them on the floor about 10 feet apart,and a foot out from the wall unit.
    BUT this usually doesn't sit well with the wife factor,or kids banging into them.
    If you did this you could use the open spaces in the wall unit for DVD software.
    Most equipment reviewers in the major magazines always have the speakers away from the walls,and standing by themselves when they're reviewing speakers.
    If this is impractical it's understood.
    Try it first,and if it doesn't sound any better-keep it as it is.
    Good Luck
    CC Rider
    ------------------

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    As I was looking at your picture one thing popped to mind, rollers! What would happen if you put the speakers on a sort of roller/track device(a'La Kitchen drawers). This way you could roll them out (and even get a swivel to adjust the toe angle) and roll them back in after the movie. High SAF I'm sure. The only thing I could think of as a con is would there be enough support and would it affect the sound at all by not being on a sturdy surface? Just some thoughts.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

4. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

There are a couple problems with your speaker arrangement. If at all possible you want to have the tweeters at ear level. The disbursement of high frequency waves is not a very wide area like the longer midrange and bass soundwaves so you might be missing some high end information. Second, the speakers need some space around them, preferably with no obstructions 8" or so behind them to get them to really sing. I can certainly understand your dilemma as the wall unit is quite nice but really doesn't provide the best possible placement.
    The best thing would be to put the mains on the floor and out a little bit into the room. If spousal approval or rambunctuous kids is a problem, how about tilting them forward by placing something under the rear of the speakers and anchoring them to the back of the wall unit near the top? That way they are still up and out of the way but the tweets will be pointing towards the listening area. Another thing to try would be flipping them upside down so the tweets are at the bottom. Some might mention that your speakers were designed to sound best right side up, but I would argue they were also designed to be floor standing and not sitting in a cabinet too. [​IMG]
    Looks like you have some very nice equipment, by the way. [​IMG] Just curious, do you see the green streak on the television in person or was this just visible to the camera?
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

5. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Your idea is exactly what I was thinking, but there's that wife factor again [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Ron,
    I have the speakers tilted already and that did help.
    Wife wont let me put them on the floor. (Kids would probably trash them anyhow)
    I was possibly thing of seling them and buying some good bookshelf ones to mount on the the walls.
    Also the green was only visible to the camera.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Rich,
    very creative idea about the rollers, but you're right, they probably would't support them
    Jake T

6. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Last Thought;
    Since it looks like a custom installed wall unit.
    Any chance you can have the wall unit company do a redesign?,and move the speakers to the sides of the unit?
    This would give better seperation,and keep them off the floor.
    It would be costly,but maybe not too much.
    Chris
    ------------------

7. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Yeah your idea of wall mounted bookshelfs sounds great I think, and it would give you a lot more freedom. Then you could use the speaker space for dvds and could maybe get a subwoofer upgrade to complement the bookshelf speakers (paradigm servo 15 mmmmm).
    Aaron

8. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I believe the green streak is due to the fact that you used a fast shutter speed and caught the refresh line in the screen.
    When taking photographs of television and computer screens you must use a slow shutter speed,(around one second or so) and a tripod to give the monitor the ability to fully refresh a few times.
    [Edited last by Mike Sheahan on August 05, 2001 at 08:41 AM]

9. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Will be a no go on the redesign, but it was a good idea
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Mike,
    Thanks for the tip on photographing the tv.
    Jake T

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

You can get rollers that support 100+ pounds. I see Norm use them all the time on New Yankee Workshop.
    Ace

11. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Jake,
    Audience 122 mains should NEVER be installed in a bookcase. They are not made for the application. Have you stuffed the ports? This should be done. Those are floorstanding speakers and they should be standing on a floor. [​IMG]
    BTW, the tweeter should not be at ear level. The focal point of the speaker should be at ear level. The focal point is the point midway between the tweeter and the midrange driver. Big difference. Good luck.

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I like the bookshelf speaker idea as well. Why not see if you can take the 122s back and get some 52s and a good sub. Then like someone else suggested you could use the space your towers are currently using for more shelving and place the 52s on the your bottom shelf out further to the sides.

13. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

14. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Are the shelves wide enough to set the speakers on it's side on the long shelves? I wonder how that would sound?
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

15. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I also have Dynaudio audiences (72s and an older 120 in front)and I love them.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I would take a Saturday to mess around with speaker placement. Bring them out and experiment with pushing them wider apart and toeing them in. You will find that seemingly small changes in placement have a big effect. Use music that is well recorded and that you know an like; Clapton Unplugged, a string quartet, a vocal solo, whatever. I've spent a huge amount of time with speaker placement.
    One of the main selling points of Dynaudios is their enveloping sound; there is a good chance that your are missing out on that with your placement.
    I agree with Bill about stuffing the ports. This is pretty common advice with Dynaudios; they tend to sound, in the words of one critic, Rubenesque, otherwise. This problem will be amplified if they are stuck in cabinets.
    And is your center channel speaker angled down? Experiment with that. You can use some of that flexible foam wrapping that came with the speaker to form a wedge under the rear edge of the center.
    ------------------

16. Bill Lucas

Ron,
    This quote is directly from the site you pointed me to. It supports my "theory".
    "(Depending on the speaker design, you may find the optimum position for your ears to be right between the tweeter and midrange drivers.)"
    Tweeters at ear level only gets you halfway there. In a stacked 2-way or 3-way design the focal point IS the midway point between the tweeter and midrange. Regards.

17. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Bill, since Jake's Dynaudio Audience 122 uses a M-T-M design, between which midrange and tweeter should the focal point be? [​IMG] I would say the "tweeter as the focal point theory" is probably the best for these speakers.
    [​IMG]
    In all seriousness though, I don't wish to have an arguement about this. As I pointed out, and I think very fairly to your opinion since I even posted information supporting it, there are many theories on speaker placement. The bottom line, as both of us pointed out in our original posts to this thread, is that the best place to put these floor-standing speakers is on the floor.
    Regards.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

18. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and discussions on my system. For now, I think I'll keep them and play around with placement (Depending on wife factor) also the ports were not stuffed previously, but will be.
    My ultimate goal will be to buy some good bookshelf speakers and place them farther apart. To late to return them but maybe if I can get my $2,100 back by selling them I will.
    The spaces they are in now would become storage for DVD and Vid Tapes. Doors added an pull out shelves
    I'll let you gus know if and when this happens.
    Thanks Again, [​IMG]
    Jake T
    [Edited last by Jake T on August 06, 2001 at 03:30 PM]

19. Bill Lucas

Jake,
    The Dynaudio 122s are very good speakers. You are just using them outside of the way they should be used. Can you perhaps trade them in for Contour 1.1 speakers and a Contour center channel. The 1.1 is a nice little bookshelf speaker that is outstanding in all respects. Mated with a good sub you won't miss a thing. The other upgrade I suggest is a new receiver. Dynaudio speakers present a difficult 4 ohm load and the more good clean power you send them the better they perform. Good luck.

20. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    These Dynaudios are 6 ohms and the Onkyo 696 provides plenty of power
    Jakt T
    [Edited last by Jake T on August 07, 2001 at 04:33 PM]