What's new

Can I get more power? (1 Viewer)

Paul_A

Grip
I have an old stereo receiver which is rated at 80x2. I'm going to be using this to power my subwoofer, but I remember hearing somewhere that I might be able to combine the channels and get 160 watts directed at my single sub. Is this a simple matter of using a few y splitters or am I making this up?

Thanks.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
No. If the amp isn't bridgeable, you can't combine channels. I seriously doubt an older stereo reciever would have a bridgeable amp. If it did, it would have a switch or wiring instructions for bridging.
However, does your subwoofer have stereo inputs? You could run 80x2 which would be nearly as good as 160x1.

Paul_A

Grip
I checked the receiver (Denon PMA-750) and there are a few buttons which might bridge the amps (not sure though since I don't know where the manual is). One is the mode. There are three options, stereo (stereo and rev) and mono.

The other button is labeled as "direct couple". Also, the speakers (A and B) can be turned on and off individually.

Thanks

Paul_A

Grip
I located the manual, and it doesn't look like it is bridgeable. I wish it were, but thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks