What's new

Can I get into college without taking two years of a foreign language? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I am somewhat worried about getting accepted into college. My grades are good, we have the money, but I have not taken spanish II yet in high school (im a junior). Will colleges allow me in as long as I have the money and the ACT scores? Its my thinking that public colleges only care about money but I might be naive.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Take it next year; spanish II is a joke (at least it was at my school). Foreign languages are not a joke at college however; the learning curve is much steeper.
Colleges will usually publish their entrance requirements; talk to your guidance counselor and see if she can provide them. I wouldn't ask her if you should take Spanish II or not (she will undoubtedly say yes) just for the requirements.
What major and schools are you considering?
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
BAH! take it in college, I did. My HS and college did not require HS level languages, and unless you're planning to clep out of college language I wouldn't bother.
college languages are a joke at schools requiring it for freshmen in my experience (hell I got 8 credits of German and got a B in both semesters, do I speak german? HEEELL no
wink.gif
)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Having a second language (or more) can only help you in life. Spanish will assist you in politics and in business. With the F.T.A.A. being signed recently , people fluent in Portuguese, Spanish, and English will find positions much easier than those that do not. You are too young to close any doors in life. Take Spanish II now and decide later in university what courses you can or cannot take.
Chris
[Edited last by ChristopherS on November 01, 2001 at 05:33 PM]

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Having a second language (or more) can only help you in life. Spanish will assist you in politics and in business. With the F.T.A.A. being signed recently , people fluent in Portuguese, Spanish, and English will find positions much easier than those that do not.
It really depends on what you end up doing in your life. I've been in the workforce for 7 years and speaking a second language has never come up. I took four years of high school Spanish and barely can remember any of it as I haven't used it. I wish I could remember more since I'm dating a girl who's first language is Spanish.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I took 4 years of spanish in high school and tested out of three semesters in college. It may be good for you too learn it now and save some time later.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
It really depends on what you end up doing in your life. I've been in the workforce for 7 years and speaking a second language has never come up. I took four years of high school Spanish and barely can remember any of it as I haven't used it. I wish I could remember more since I'm dating a girl who's first language is Spanish.
I'm in the aviation field, the international language is English (broken as it may be in some parts)
biggrin.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
With the F.T.A.A. being signed recently , people fluent in Portuguese, Spanish, and English will find positions much easier than those that do not.
Also, if you live in Texas, it will help you order fast food.
- Steve

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I only took two years of Spanish (and one year of French) in high school and was accepted into my university that required three years. I've found that college Spanish, although teaching at a much faster pace (10 weeks versus a high school year), is easier. If you are worried then just take Spanish 2 next year to be safe.
~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks