What's new

Can I get FP and retractable screen under $1K that will rival the pic on a CRT RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
title says it all:

Can I get FP and retractable screen under $1K or $1500.00 that will rival the pic on a CRT RPTV?

I mean really rival it, I am fairly picky...

mostly for DVDs and cable HDTV

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what you mean by the word "rival".

The Infocus 4805 can be had these days for around $999. Toss-in a $300 hang-on-the-wall screen (say, a 76" 16:9 Da-Lite 1.0 gain), and you're in the ball park.

The 4805 does an *incredible* job on standard definition anamorphic DVD; and I truly believe that if you can get 10 feet back from a 76" 16:9 screen, it will look as good as a CRT-based RPTV in the 50" range. The 4805's contrast ratio is really that good!

However, I would still give an edge to the RPTV for standard definition cable simply due to the fact that kind of source just doesn't blow up all that well. And with a true HDTV source, the RPTV could potentially have a resolution advantage.

So the answer to your question is ... "Sometimes".

I will tell you this: Once you've experienced FP you'll never be able to live with a puny 50" screen again; especially when viewing DVD.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well here is the thing, maybe rival was a poor choice of words.

I guess for that I would need a CRT RP and I know that is way beyond my budget. Thing is I am getting tired of finding a compromise between SD TV for wife and theater feel for me.

I am thinking of getting a 32" TV for TV viewing and and then for movie time just pull out the screen and use the FP.

just not sure how it would work...

Now I am picky about picture so I know it would require a $40K FP set up for me to be wowed. however I am hoping for something in the 50" to 70" range and for DVDs to be close to RPTV standards and at least same or above a 42" to 50" LCD OR DLP RPTV.

oh yeah, never heard of Infocus, can I get that at the usual Brick and Mortars? is it HD? as in 1280 X 720 rez or more?

AjayM

Screenwriter
You can pick up a 55" Mitsubishi for around $1500 (65" for about $500 more) and I can't think of a single item on the picture quality check list it will not be equal or better at than a budget projector, and in many cases the differences will be pretty far apart.

I have an InFocus projector now and I love it, but if you're "picky" about picture quality I'd stay away from "budget" FP setups, in the end there isn't much of a comparison.

Scotty P

Agent

That's the direction I am going, and you might be able to do even a little better on price than that if you shop around.

Rolando

Screenwriter
funny enough have been impressed with Mits reviews over last 4 years or so but darn it they are not available in Canada!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No, a CRT RPTV for picky eyes will certainly be objectively way superior to an entry digital projector. However, you can't deny the impact of a large-screen for movies. But the low-resolution, contrast, and color of the entry digitals can't touch a well-setup CRT RP. If the CRT is crappily set up, then it might be close...

Users who are viewing this thread