What's new

Can I get a sub kit that will outgun a SVS CS Ultra for less money? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
Right now I'm building a house and I'm in bad need of a couple of subwoofers. So I've been entertaining the idea of building a couple of subwoofers from a kit. My question is, can I build a sub with no previous experience that will outpreform, in most ways a sub like the SVS CS Ultra for less money than it would take to buy an Ultra?
If somebody could point me in the right direction or tell me where I could do some research at, that would be great.
Thanks,
James

A

Anthony_Gomez

absolutely. TV even said so to me in an email a while ago. SVS is the way to go (IMO) if you can't/don't want to DIY.

first couple of qustions.

1)I understand that you want some serious spl, but is this for music, HT or both?
2)How big of an enclosure can you allow?
3)what is your budget minus construction material
4) do you have wood working experience?

for design ideas, you can check ou the sonotube link at the start of the DIY forums threads.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
In your question you're using the word "kit". Does that mean you don't have the necessary tools or desire to build the enclosure from scratch? If that's the case then you may want to just buy the SVS. A comparable sub kit that's complete yet unassembled is very close to the price of an SVS and you still have to buy glue, clamps, finishing material, etc..Sonotube subs are very easy and inexpensive to build but you still need to cut end caps, stand-offs, vent openings, and more. For someone that has the tools or access to tools it's definitely cheaper to DIY.

BrendanL

Agent
If you are building the house (and it is yours) I would suggest some infinite baffle tempests. No box to build, and great sound.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Curious, what caliber of woofage does it take to outgun a SVS Ultra?

Can a vented tempest with 250w do it? Or come close?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Good question Mark. For whatever reason, I was thinking of the less expensive SVS cylinder sub that sells for $549. I'm pretty sure if you buy a Tempest and a good amp, put it in a sonotube or other vented cabinet with the correct reinforcements and dimensions it'll do just as well or better. It will be cheaper unless you're going out and buying saws, routers or other tools just to make one loudspeaker.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
TimForman,

I think I was in your position about 9 months ago. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a 25-31 PCi. But then started looking into DIY.

I ended up hooking up with a friend who had the tools and built myself a 122 liter sealed Tempest with PE 250w plate amp for around $300 and havent looked back since. The cost was almost half of what I would be paying for a SVS and the performance very likely exceeds SVS performance (hard to say definitely having not heard a SVS first hand).

The best thing about DIY is the flexability it gives you, my next project is going to be building a new enclosure for thet tempest, something around 200 liters vented to squeeze a few more decibels out of my current rig for minimal cost.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You're preaching to the choir Mark. james em is the guy contemplating if he should go DIY. I've built a sealed MidQ Tempest, a vented Shiva 'tube, a pair of Adire Kit281's, and the Adire Large Center Channel.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
My bad, I didn't see your prior post.

Just reading the one I read it did sound like you were trying to make a decision to go DIY or not. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks