Can I get a good speaker set, minus sub, for $550?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Morgan, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be spending a little bonus money in October to make a couple upgrades to my HT. I will end up with about $550 for a complete 5 channel setup(L/R, C, Surround) I enjoy both movies and music at probably 60/40 respectively. My tentative plan is to get the NSP1 from JBL along with some N38 floorstanders. I am in a small apartment right now with no room to take advantage of rear surrounds right now(I have a Denon 3802 rcvr.) I will be moving into a house sometime early next year, so I will use the other two N24s from the NSP1 in the rear when I have the room.

Is there any other better or comparable speaker system for the money? Any general suggestions out there for me? Thanks for the input guys! Hope to place an order in a couple weeks.

Mike

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I think the N38s and the NSP1 package will be great for your set-up. For the money, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything an order of magnitude better. I have the N38iis/N-Centerii/N24iis, running off an H/K 320, and it's a very nice setup, both for music and movies. The N38s are, in my opinion, very underrated, and are great for music and movies. They're also fine looking speakers, for what it's worth.

-AM

3. Mike_Morgan

Thanks a lot Angelo! That is very comforting to hear. [​IMG] I have done a bit of reading on here and the JBLs seem to be a VERY GOOD bang for the buck speaker.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second Angelo's opinion, your setup will be great, and you could even get it for less, and start saving for a sub.

NSP1 $209
    N38 $100 each = $200
    Total = 409 + shipping

5. Mike_Morgan

Well Pablo, I have a sub(the Sony WM-40) so that will do me for a while. I plan to upgrade it also someday.

Also Pablo, I assume those prices you listed are for the series I JBLs? I haven't found the series II for that cheap.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Mike,

The prices are form series I, etronics still has some of this in stock, but the N38 were in stock a couple of week ago, but I just checked and they are out of stock. But they do have NSP1 in stock and N28

I also check J&R
    NSP1 = $250
    N38 = $150 x 2 = $300
    TOTAL = $550

So you are right $550 is.

7. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Just an FYI, there are only aesthetic differences between the I and II series. They are sonically identical.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Sound Clearing House is worth a serious look in comparison to JBL Northridge series speakers with that price point.
    You could get 4 K05B50 bookshelves and one K05C25 center channel.
    Fully assembled and finished they would run you $500. If want to build the boxes yourself (I'd still buy the precut baffels though) they would run you $320 plus what you spend to finish the enclosures.

9. Mike_Morgan

Pablo, that's where I found them to begin with, J&R. I knew the series IIs were right at $550[​IMG] Thanks for the etronics lead also.
    Thanks Adam, I'll keep that in mind!
    Mike

10. Russell Osborne

bestpriceaudiovideo.com has the n3811 for 115.00 per and nsp1ll for 289.00 plus shipping

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Sounds like a very good setup. I'm in the processing of putting together a similar setup, except I'm going w/ N28 mains ($130/pair, free shipping, J&R) and the NSP1 ($250, free shipping, J&R) in a 7.1 setup. Since you have a relativly high music listening percentage, the N38s will probably be a worthwhile step up from the N28s. Since i'm 99% HT/DVD/TV, i don't think it would be worth it for me.

I'm also on a little tighter budget. The new stuff will be $380... i just got $100 from my parents for my birthday... a friend is buying my current 7 speaker sony setup for $250, so i'm only going to be $30 out of pocket).

I considered getting 3 pairs of N28s and using them in a 6.1 setup and a month or 2 down the road ordering a N Center to fill out the 7.1 setup. Then i stepped back and took a look at the space i was working with. I'm currently in an apartment style dorm with a 10x11 living room. My back surrounds are on stands directly between the couch and the wall. Using N28s would also create an obstruction when viewing the TV from the adjacent kitchen. Due to space constraints, The N24s were the only speaker in the JBL lineup i could pheasably fit back there.

Once i get my JBL setup in and going, i'll probably be set on speakers for the next couple of years (until i get out of college, i'm currently a sophomore aerospace engineering major at Ga Tech). My next upgrade will most likely be a DIY sub that i plan on building when i'm home (my old kentucky home) for fall break. After that, i hope to move up to a Pioneer Elite 43TX from my current Pioneer D811S. The receiver upgrade will probably be atleast 3 or 4 months, hopefully around chrismtas.