What's new

Can I get 5.1 surround sound from HD cable box? (1 Viewer)

RobEd

Auditioning
Tweeter delivered a new Samsung HLM507 yesterday and the cable company installed a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD cable box today. The cable box has a coaxial digital audio output but my Yamaha RX-V630 only has optical audio inputs. Is it possible to get true 5.1 surround sound with the equipment I have? Any suggestions?

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
You would have to find an external convertor of some kind to change from the digital coax to fiber. I find it very unusual to NOT have at least one digital coax connection. According to the Yamaha website, there is 1 digital coax connection on your unit. That would be the one to use.

RobEd

Auditioning
Thanks for the response. There is a digital coax input, but it's labeled as CD. If I use that input, is there a special cable required, or will a standard coax cable with RCA connections work?

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Rob,

Assuming your CD input really is a digital coaxial input, you'd need a digital coaxial interconnect to hook your cable box to your receiver. Digital coaxial interconnects are specifically 75 ohms--which coincidentally is the same as a standard video interconnect (composite video). So either buy one of RS's digital coaxial interconnects (the last one I saw I think was orange) or one of their video interconnects (probably some yellow around the ends somewhere).

RobEd

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions. I stopped at the local Tweeter where I bought the Yamaha receiver and learned that I could assign the one digital coaxial input as a digital cable audio input. They took me thru the process step by step in the store and then sold me a digital cable at half price. Everything works as it should and I'm blown away to finally get 5.1 for cable broadcasts.:D

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Rob,

Just a reminder--only a few broadcasts will actually be in 5.1 surround. Most will be 2.0. (based on how the shows are encoded)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hey Rob,

I'm glad you've got everything working. I just wanted to jump in here to say it's nice seeing more guys from this area on the board! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks